From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Christian educators learn value of technology,

From "Wilma Shuffitt"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 22 Feb 1999 15:34:07

storytelling
Date: February 22, 1999
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

99b-10

	CHICAGO (UMNS) -- Churches must use today's music and
technology to reach young people, a well-known United
Methodist professor said at an ecumenical church educators
event Feb. 3-6.

	The "emerging culture" is changing the way in which people
sense and experience life, said the Rev. Tex Sample of
Saint Paul School of Theology, Kansas City, Mo.

	The emerging culture is multi-sensory and active, Sample
said. Churches must use today's music, images and
technology to reach youth, he said. "Churches that will
reach the younger generations are those that touch people
in a multi-sensory way."

	Sample was among the speakers at FaithOdyssey: An
Ecumenical Christian Educators Event. More than 2,000 local
church educators, pastors, teachers and other educational
leaders met to gain insights and inspiration for  ministry
in the 21st century. One hundred and twenty Christian
Church (Disciples of Christ) educators attended the event,
according to the Rev. Jim Brooks, director of Christian
education ministries for the Disciples Homeland Ministries
division. (See accompanying release.)

	Throughout the event, speakers and workshop leaders
stressed the importance of stories and storytelling.
Participants were encouraged to use personal histories and
faith stories as education tools.

	"We are a story-formed people. . . .  We must choose which
stories we will claim. We must rehearse them and teach them
to our children," said Elizabeth Caldwell, professor of
educational ministry at McCormick Theological Seminary in
Chicago. "The variety of cultures and faith traditions in
our world today makes it essential that we know who we are
and whose we are."

	The Rev. Ken Bedell stressed the importance of using new
technologies in telling personal and faith stories. "We are
moving from the campfire to the Internet," said the United
Methodist minister and visiting professor at the Center for
the Study of Communications and Culture, St. Louis.
Religious education will be changed in the same way that
television changed newspapers and the Internet has
transformed other media, Bedell said. "Religious education
will be changed, but we will still be building a community
of understanding."

	Linda J. Vogel, professor of Christian education at United
Methodist-related Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary
in Evanston, Ill., discussed the world in which Christian
educators are called to work. She described it as a world
in which "malls are cathedrals, and online shopping is
Mecca." She reiterated that people must remember "who and
whose we are. This is harder for people in our day because
we are exposed to so much from so many different value
bases."

	Other FaithOdyssey speakers included Mary Elizabeth
Mullino Moore, professor, Claremont (Calif.) School of
Theology; Charles Y. Chai, director, Korean-American Second
Generation Ministry, Bethany Korean Presbyterian Church,
Marietta, Ga.;  Marva J. Dawn, author of Reaching Out
Without Dumbing Down and Is It a Lost Cause? Having the
Heart of God for the Church's Children; the Rev. Emilie M.
Townes, associate professor, Saint Paul School of Theology,
Kansas City, Mo.; and Brian A. Wren, poet, theologian,
teacher and author of Piece Together Praise -- A
Theological Journey.

	Workshops included such diverse topics as "Gender Specific
Ministry with Girls"; "Are Ye Liable? Ask the Lawyer";
"Discover Your Spiritual Type"; "Family, Faith and Terminal
Illness"; "Ministry with the Millennial Generation";
"Quality Child Care"; "Domestic Violence"; "New Insights
About the Bible from Archaeology"; "Cross-Cultural
Considerations in Christian Education"; "The Learning
Congregation"; and "Black Heritage and Christianity."

	Among the Disciples presenting workshops were the Revs.
Billye Bridges and Kaye Edwards, both Homeland Ministries
associates; the Rev. Patrice Rosner, vice president,
Christian Board of Publication, St. Louis; and the Rev.
Marti Steussy, a professor at Christian Theological
Seminary, Indianapolis.

	Other Disciples presenters included: the Revs. Fred
Erickson and Ken Watson, Columbia, Mo; and the Revs. Carla
Ficke, Denver, William Bingham, Frankfort, Ky., and Sharon
Gouwens, Fort Worth, Texas.

	Sponsoring denominations were the African Methodist
Episcopal Zion Church; American Baptist Churches, U.S.A.;
Church of the Brethren; Christian Church (Disciples of
Christ); Episcopal Church; Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America; Presbyterian Church (USA); Reformed Church in
America; Presbyterian Church in Canada; United Church of
Christ; United Church of Canada; and United Methodist
Church. Cooperating denominations included the African
Methodist Episcopal Church and Christian Methodist
Episcopal Church.

                                                     -- end
--

                             Disciples educators look for
new directions

	INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- While in Chicago for the church
educators event, Disciples participants discussed new
directions for the Association of Christian Church
Educators. ACCE met Feb. 2-3.

	Five persons were named to a transition committee to
explore new ways to nurture and support church education
ministries, said the Rev. Jim Brooks. He is director of
Christian education ministries for the Disciples Homeland
Ministries division, and an ex officio member of the
transition team.

	Named to the committee were the Rev. Richard English,
Dallas; the Rev. Sharon Warner, Lexington, Ky.; the Rev.
Charlsi Woodard, Paris, Ky.; the Rev. Becki Nunnally,
Zionsville, Ind., and the Rev. Beth Dobyns, Des Moines,
Iowa.

	The group will report its findings to ACCE in the spring
of 2000.

	                                      -- end --