From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Tutu speaks of truth and reconciliation at meeting

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 24 Feb 1999 08:58:29

99-012
Tutu speaks of truth and reconciliation at meetings in Minnesota

by Susan Barksdale
(ENS) Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa was in
Minnesota the first weekend in February to present a special award
honoring chaplains who offered their lives to save troops in World
War II and to speak at a special forum.

Tutu presented the first humanitarian awards given by the
Immortal Chaplains Foundation, honoring four Army chaplains-Roman
Catholic, Methodist, Dutch Reformed and Jewish-who gave their
life jackets to soldiers on the troop ship Dorchester that was
sunk in 1943. According to eyewitness accounts, the chaplains
stood on the deck of the ship as it sank, locked in prayer.

"What we commemorate today seems to go against the grain of
the world," Tutu said in a press conference before the awards
ceremony. He said that true greatness comes in not being obsessed
by it, citing Mother Teresa as an example of someone who "gave"
her life on behalf of others. "Ultimately the world will get it,
that the secret of greatness is that you don't strive for it."

When asked what intrigued him about the story of the
chaplains, he said, "Basically the wonder of human beings going
against the law of our nature" for self-preservation. "Things
like this make you proud to be a human being. Human beings are
wonderful-we are made for good ness and love. This is the way God
created us," he said.

Tutu's face shone as he discussed his favorite topics of
forgiveness and reconciliation. He warned against stereotyping
people in our striving for peace, offering as an example the
tendency to demonize Saddam Hussein of Iraq and with him all
Muslims. That would be the same as demonizing all Christians
because of the activities of the Ku Klux Klan, Tutu said,
reminding his audience that there are extremists in all religious
communities.

Healing the wounds
When asked what the people of South Africa had learned in
the hearings of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC),
Tutu said, "People need the opportunity to tell their story. In
telling the story, there is a healing that happens. Without
forgiveness there is no future." The commission, chaired by Tutu,
sought to heal the wounds of apartheid by inviting those who had
been involved in violence to come forward with their confessions
and to ask for forgiveness.

Addressing the difficult task of making peace in a world
that seems to prefer violence, Tutu admitted that he has
frequently been very angry with God. "If I were God, I would have
sent many lightning bolts. But our God is quite extraordinary. God
has an incredible reverence for who we are. God gives us the
space. The omnipotent God becomes impotent, weak. God then waits
for us, for those who get passionate about goodness, love and
peace."

The first Immortal Chaplains Prizes for Humanity were
presented posthumously to Charles W. David, Jr., an African-
American mess attendant on the troop ship Dorchester who risked
his life to pull survivors from the sea during rescue operations,
and to Amy Biehl, the young American Fulbright scholar who was
stoned to death in South Africa in 1993 while working to heal the
wounds of apartheid.

In a carefully guarded surprise, Tutu himself was the recipient of
a third prize.

The difficult work of reconciliation
Tutu spoke to a packed audience of about 1500 at the Town
Hall Forum at Westminster Presbyterian Church in downtown
Minneapolis, describing the difficult work of the Truth and
Reconciliation Commission.

"We were in a pickle in South Africa," Tutu began. While
many were predicting that the nation was on the verge of civil war
as blacks assumed majority control, Tutu said, "It didn't happen.
We won. We wouldn't have made it without you. We won because
you supported us and you prayed for us. Our victory is your victory."

The Town Hall audience, and those listening on National
Public Radio, heard stories of the brutal atrocities of apartheid,
illustrating "the extent of the evil." South Africa could have
descended into the violence that plagues so many parts of the
world, Tutu admitted, but chose "to walk in a more costly path-
the path of forgiveness, the path of reconciliation."

Tutu said that God has been "very good to us. He has given
us a Nelson Mandela. Everyone expected Mandela to come out after
his 27 years in prison bristling with resentment and anger and
bitterness-and a lust for revenge. But he did not," Tutu said.
"Instead he invited his white jailer to attend his inauguration
as a guest. He later took his white prosecutor, who had asked for
the death sentence, to lunch. No, he did not seek revenge but took
the way of forgiveness and reconciliation and healing."

Capacity for good and evil
The archbishop pointed out that human beings "have an incredible
capacity for evil. When we hear of these perpetrators, we think,
There but for the grace of God, go you and I." Yet they are "ordinary
human beings," he added. "They may commit the most horrendous
deeds, but that does not turn them into monsters. They still remain
children of God."

The whole process of reconciliation is based on the belief that we have
a capacity to change, that we are capable of good, Tutu argued. "We can
achieve the most ghastly things and we can be some of the most
compassionate and caring and loving people the world has ever known.
Forgiveness is not cheap, reconciliation is not easy."

During the hearings of the TRC, Tutu said that members heard
gruesome stories of death and torture-and yet he listened in
wonder and amazement, "bowled over at the goodness of people."
He added, "On many occasions we felt that the right response to
what was happening in front of us was to take off our shoes, because we
were on holy ground. We needed to open the wounds, to cleanse them
so that they wouldn't fester, to pour balm on them."

With a chuckle of amazement at God's abundant mercy, Tutu
asked, "Why did God choose South Africa? We are not virtuous, we
are not even smart. It's because God has a sense of humor" in
choosing such an unlikely lot. "We are going to succeed not
because we deserve to succeed. We are going to succeed for the
sake of God's grace."

Tutu, who is currently a visiting professor at Emory University
in Atlanta, also joined the congregation at St. Mark's Cathedral in
Minneapolis for services honoring Absalom Jones, the first African-
American ordained to the priesthood in the Episcopal Church.

--Susan Barksdale edits Soundings, the newspaper of the Diocese of
Minnesota.

http://ecusa.anglican.org/ens