From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Jubilee will be theme of 2000 Episcopal General Convention in

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 24 Feb 1999 09:45:49

Denver

99-002
Jubilee will be theme of 2000 General Convention in Denver

by James Solheim
(ENS) The committee charged with planning the 2000 General
Convention in Denver has embraced the biblical concept of Jubilee
as the underlying theme and focus.

Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold told the Planning and
Arrangements Committee at its February 11 meeting in Denver that
Jubilee would signal a "new beginning" for the new millenium,
suggesting that the church is "open to a new future" and the
possibility of "thinking in some new ways."

In exploring the concept, Griswold said that Jubilee is a
time of release, when people set each other free from oppressive
patterns of relationship. "In baptism we are called to be Jubilee
people so our question is, What do we need to set us free to be
sign and symbol for God's people?"

In planning the convention, Griswold suggested that time be
set aside for personal and corporate reflection, time for
considering who we are as the people of God. "It could create a
climate so that our decision-making could be more reflective," he
said. "And we may want to look more closely at what we are called
to decide-and what may need more time." The result, he said,
could be "a less urgent decision-making process. Sometimes we
make decisions that aren't really decisions, leaving people
feeling polarized."

Griswold said that the attempt to provide a different
atmosphere for General Convention would not "overlook the fact
that this is also a legislative body" but that it should also
look for some balance, seeking a deeper level of conversation, and
not be trapped into a series of up-and-down votes. His idea that
the convention set aside a day of reflection, to focus on
identity, vocation and mission as the basis for decision-making,
was endorsed by committee members.

During a very supportive discussion among committee members,
Bishop Jerry Winterrowd of Colorado reminded the presiding bishop
of the insight from his trip to Assisi, where it became obvious
that he was called to be part of the task of rebuilding the
church. "We can't rebuild the church without Jubilee, without
release," Winterrowd said.

Pamela Chinnis, president of the House of Deputies, said
that a Jubilee vision for the convention was "appropriate," and
resonated with international efforts to explore the concept in
commemorating the new millenium especially in the World Council of
Churches.

Griswold reminded the committee that Jubilee, based on the
passages in the 25th chapter of Leviticus, was never implemented,
eluding the community yet giving it hopeful energy and vision.

Based on his recent conversation with theologians, Griswold
reported that many of them do not see themselves as part of the
church's life, adding that he is eager to find a way to use their
talents as a way to heighten the quality of discourse in the
church.

Rocky Mountain high
In outlining the plans the Diocese of Colorado is making to
host the General Convention, Winterrowd expressed his hope that
Denver would be a different kind of meeting. "You don't come to
the mountain for business as usual," he said.

"We are finding out that this is an awesome task," added
Tom Osborn, chair of the local committee. He said that committees
are already very busy, eager that everyone who attends the
convention will experience a dose of western hospitality. A
parallel Youth Event, which could draw up to 2000, is scheduled
just 18 miles away in Boulder and could supply what he called
"lots of energy." Colorado Night will draw on the highly eclectic
groups that shaped the state and it may be possible to build a
replica of a western town in a hall adjacent to the Colorado
Convention Center. He also announced that "Up With People," a
dynamic and diverse singing group, will provide entertainment.

Both Osborn and Winterrowd said that they hope the
Convention Eucharist, which could draw 10,000 Episcopalians from
throughout the diocese, could be held at the Pepsi Center, now
under construction.

The Rev. Rosmari Sullivan, new executive officer of General
Convention, asked the local committee to explore ways that those
attending the convention could serve the local community,
mentioning as one possibility Habitat for Humanity, which builds
low-cost housing. She also said that her office is looking at ways
to celebrate special ministries in the church as part of the
convention program.

Lori Ionnitiu said that the General Convention Office has
been looking at sites for future General Conventions. After some
discussion, the committee recommended that Salt Lake City and
Minneapolis be investigated further for the convention in 2003.

--James Solheim is director of the Episcopal Church's Office of
News and Information.

http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens