From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GAC Approves $1 Million Capital Contribution to PILP

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 24 Feb 1999 20:07:23

99083

    GAC Approves $1 Million Capital Contribution to PILP

    by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - When the Rev. Kenneth G.Y. Grant asked the General
Assembly Council for a capital contribution so the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) Investment & Loan Program (PILP) can meet state securities
standards, he got more than he bargained for.

    Some raised questions during the GAC's annual winter meeting here about
the operation of PILP and its place in the future mission of the church.

    "I see every mission dollar as having been given sacrificially, like
the widow's mite ... and I'd like to let go of that grudgingly," said GAC
member Bruce Kennedy, an elder at John Knox Presbyterian Church in suburban
Seattle, Wash.

    The three-year-old corporation, which Grant heads as president and CEO,
received approval for a one-time capital contribution of $1 million from
the GAC on Feb. 13. The money will be allocated from mission dollars and
will, according to Grant, permit Presbyterian congregations, governing
bodies and related mission agencies to borrow more than $50 million.

    The contribution enables PILP to continue meeting guidelines of the
North American Securities Administrators Association, Inc. (NASAA), which
require that it maintain a capital ratio (net worth divided by total
assets) of at least 3 percent. Projections indicated that PILP's ratio
would drop below that level in the year 2000 unless it received an infusion
of new capital.

    "As our investments increase, as the program becomes more successful,
the capital contributions will be more and more needed," Grant said.

    Even with the additional $1 million, PILP's capital ratio will drop
below the required 3 percent sometime in 2002, unless additional capital is
secured, because of anticipated growth of its total assets.

    Council members told PILP to prepare a plan outlining how the
corporation intends to meet capital requirements of NASAA for the years
2000-2004. This is required in order for PILP to maintain the ability to
sell investments throughout the United States and the District of Columbia
and Puerto Rico.

    "We just need to be able to tell the states' securities administrators
there is a plan in place," Grant said.

    The plan is due to be presented to the GAC in September.

    PILP offers Presbyterians investment notes that pay rates comparable to
those earned on CDs. The invested funds are used to provide loans to
congregations for new church development, renovation of existing church
buildings and the construction of new buildings. PILP lends construction
money to churches at rates generally lower than those charged by commercial
banks.

    PILP initially sought a capital contribution of $3 million to be doled
out in $1 million increments over the next three years, but since "we had
not identified the source for those dollars in the future we agreed that we
would ask for $1 million at this point in time," Grant said.

    Meanwhile, on the floor, Kennedy was concerned over the likelihood that
future funding will be necessary on top of  the $1 million capital
contribution and the millions originally utilized to start the corporation.

     "That doesn't mean that we should therefore belly up to the bar, again
and again, with additional money. Especially when the performance of PILP
to this point, I don't think, has been that sterling," said Kennedy, a
former Alaska Airlines CEO. "In terms of attracting additional money, I
think it's off to a slow start."

    GAC member David P. Greer of Omaha, Neb., voiced similar concerns.

    "How much more," he asked, will be needed to fund PILP?

    In the end, however, Council members decided by approving the
contribution that PILP does fit into the denomination's ministry portfolio.
"The conclusion was that it was a priority as far as mission. It's not just
a financial decision," said GAC chair the Rev. Cathy Chisholm.

    The Mission Support Services (MSS) Committee, which oversees the
financial affairs of the church, recommended that GAC members approve the
action.

    "This is largely a recommendation from [GAC executive director] John
Detterick, and I concur with him," said John A. Rodgers, MSS Committee
chair. "From what we can tell from reviewing the history of PILP, this was
identified in 1995 as a significant commitment by the denomination, and GA
affirmed that. Right now I think we're on the course that GA put us on in
1995."

    PILP operates coast to coast. It has 26 loans outstanding for a total
of about $9 million. PILP offered its first general securities offering on
May 1, 1997, with an offering in most states of $100 million, according to
Grant.

    Today, 1,000 investments have been sold with an average individual note
of slightly more than $10,000. Total investments of all sources equal about
$19 million and total assets are about $21 million in short-term
investments and loans.

    "Yes, we are performing on the business plan and we are meeting a
portion of the church growth needs of the denomination through selling
investments and offering mortgages," Grant said.