From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Carrie Lou Goddard, Christian educator, dies Feb. 26

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 26 Feb 1999 15:24:56

Feb. 26, 1999	Contact: Linda Green*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.
10-71B{113}

By Martha Pilcher*

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS)--Carrie Lou Goddard, 87,  a widely-known United
Methodist Christian educator, writer, and teacher, died Feb. 25 at McKendree
Village Retirement Center in Nashville.

A native of Maryville, Tenn., Goddard,  retired in 1977 after serving 23
years on the faculty of Scarritt College for Christian Workers  in
Nashville., now known as the Scarritt-Bennett Center.

Before going to Scarritt, Goddard  was director of children's work for the
Methodist Inter-Board Committee of the Holston Annual Conference;  director
of children's work for the Virginia Annual Conference; and an associate
editor of children's publications for the Methodist Board of Education. She
also worked as an elementary school teacher and as a supervisor of teachers
for the Blount County (Tenn.) Board of Education.

Scarritt named a children's center after Goddard  and in 1981 she was
awarded the Scarritt Tower Award for Distinguished Service.

In a letter written in 1986, she said, "An unexpected welcome, serendipity
of my retirement years is the warm messages and occasional visits from
former students.  I rejoice in their lives and the contributions they are
making. My years at Scarritt both enriched and blessed my life and I am
indeed grateful,"

A service of celebration and thanksgiving for Goddard's life, ministry and
witness to hundreds of students and colleagues was held at Scarritt-Bennett
Center Aug. 31, 1996.  A baptismal font was given to the center's Wightman
Chapel in her honor.  A memorial service will be held  at Scarritt-Bennett
Center.  Arrangements area pending.
# # #
*Pilcher is director of information for the Scarritt-Bennett Center.

United Methodist News Service
http://www.umc.org/umns/
newsdesk@umcom.umc.org
(615)742-5472