From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Opposition to Lutheran-Episcopal proposal organizing

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 19 Mar 1999 11:24:08

99-024
Opposition to Lutheran-Episcopal proposal organizing

by Frank Imhoff
(ELCA) While expressing support for a relationship of "full
communion" between the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA) and The Episcopal Church, almost 200 Lutherans gathered
here at St. Andrew's Lutheran Church in Mahtomedi, Minnesota, and
resolved that the current Lutheran proposal, "Called to Common
Mission," is not the way to accomplish it.

Speakers addressed the audience before participants shared
their views and drafted and approved a sample resolution for ELCA
congregations and synod assemblies to send to the Churchwide
Assembly next August in Denver. The February 8-9 conference also
began developing a strategy to educate Lutherans on the content of
"Called to Common Mission" (CCM) and reasons for opposing it.

The sample resolution asks "that the 1999 Churchwide
Assembly reject the document `Called to Common Mission,'" while
reaffirming the Lutheran "commitment to continue to work together
with our Episcopal neighbors in common faith and mission,
gathering at the Lord's Table and sharing in each other's
ministry."

The resolution continued, "We acknowledge the ordination of
Episcopal clergy, and welcome them to serve in ELCA parishes or
pastoral positions, preaching and teaching in a manner that is
consistent with the ELCA's `Confession of Faith.'"

The Rev. Roger C. Eigenfeld, pastor of St. Andrew's, opened
the conference, "Upholding Lutheran Confessions," by saying the
ELCA has been flooded with speeches and materials about why CCM
should be approved, but the purpose of the conference was to
express opposite viewpoints.  "You will not hear both sides of
the issue here," he said.

A round of Lutheran-Episcopal dialogues that began in 1983
developed a proposal for full communion between the two churches,
"The Concordat of Agreement," and issued it in 1991.  During that
period, the American Lutheran Church (ALC) and the Lutheran Church
in America (LCA) merged with the Association of Evangelical
Lutheran Churches to form the ELCA.

The General Convention of the Episcopal Church
overwhelmingly approved the Concordat in 1997.  The ELCA assembly
that year defeated the proposal by six votes and asked that the
Concordat be revised, taking the assembly's debate into account
and clarifying the technical language of the dialogue.

Why historic episcopate?
"I am disappointed-first with the Concordat and now with
the revision-that they make it necessary for us to adopt the
historic episcopate," said the Rev. Robert J. Marshall of
Chicago, former LCA president.

Lutherans and Episcopalians agree on the doctrine of
"apostolic succession," an ongoing faithful proclamation of
Christ; Episcopalians bring to the relationship the "historic
episcopate," a succession of bishops as a sign of unity back to
the earliest days of the Christian church.

Marshall asked the conference if the historic episcopate is
"not only essential but good and useful for the church," and he
supplied his answer: "No."

"I am not in favor of the Concordat in its present form
because it is not the best for ecumenism," said Marshall.  "One
church would have to become like the other."

Marshall said the full communion agreement the ELCA has with
the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Reformed Church in America and
United Church of Christ is "the model for future full communion
agreements."  It allows for recognition of each others'
ministries without the need to change structures or understandings
of ministry, he said.

"The Episcopal refusal to accept us `as we are' is at the
center of our disagreement," said the Rev. David W. Preus of
Minneapolis, former ALC presiding bishop.  The historic episcopate
is not bad, he said, but Lutherans would not be considering it if
it were not being required for full communion.

Preus said the Reformation of the Western Church in the
16th century was needed because the church was placing itself
between God and "the priesthood of all believers."  Saying word
and sacrament ministry can only be done by those ordained by
certain bishops would limit the mission and ministry of the
church, not enhance it, he said.  "God is not tied to any
particular priesthood."

Incorporating the historic episcopate would hinder the
ELCA's ecumenical relationships with churches other than the
Episcopal Church, Preus said.

An issue of ministry and mission
"I affirm the closest possible relationships with our
Episcopal brothers and sisters within the bounds of our
integrity," said the Rev.  Lowell O. Erdahl of Roseville,
Minnesota, former bishop of the ALC's Southeastern Minnesota
District and the ELCA's Saint Paul Area Synod.

"My problem with the Concordat and its current revision is
not that it is too ecumenical but that it is not ecumenical
enough," said Erdahl.  He called requiring the historic
episcopate for full communion "an insult to the unity that we
have in Jesus Christ." Erdahl said Lutherans are considering the
historic episcopate only "to be nice ... to go along to get
along."

"Always keep in mind that this is not an ecumenical issue
but a ministry and mission issue," said the Rev. Michael Rogness,
professor of homiletics at Luther Seminary in St. Paul, Minnesota.
While full communion and the mission of the church are often given
as reasons for supporting CCM, he said those who oppose the
proposal also favor full communion and mission.

"It is dishonest for us to say the historic episcopate will
not change our theology or the way we do things," said Rogness.
"Called to Common Mission proposes a fundamentally different
ministry than what the Augsburg Confession intends."  The
Augsburg Confession is a 16th century summary of Lutheran
doctrine which the ELCA accepts as "a true witness to the
gospel."

On the conference's strategy, Rogness suggested participants
focus on communicating with the ELCA Churchwide Assembly through
resolutions from synod assemblies this spring.

"Called to Common Mission is the wrong way to the right
thing," said the Rev. Mark A. Granquist, assistant professor of
religion at St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota.  "We are
not against declaring our Christian unity with other churches,"
he said.  "We are not against the Episcopal Church."
"Jesus Christ declares that the Holy Spirit has already
made us one ... united with other Christians," said Granquist.
"Ecumenism is recognizing the unity that already exists." He
called the historic episcopate "a failed paradigm," arguing that
"it has not worked for the Episcopal Church, and it won't work
for us."

A political strategy
Those who oppose CCM have endured a lot of unfounded
criticism, said the Rev. James M. Kittelson, professor of church
history at Luther Seminary. "Just say no to this litany of shame
and blame," he said.

"We are told that our own lack of the historic episcopate
is an accident of history," said Kittelson.  The historic
episcopate of the Anglican Communion that U.S. Lutherans are being
asked to adopt is an accident of 16th century European politics,
he said, "a pious fraud at best." He said that other churches
that have the historic episcopate, such as the Roman Catholic and
Orthodox churches, do not recognize the Anglican historic
episcopate.

The Rev. Marc Kolden, academic dean at Luther Seminary,
discussed the strategy the group might take toward getting its
message before ELCA members, especially the ELCA Churchwide
Assembly. He advised the group to have a substitute motion ready
if CCM fails to win a two-thirds majority at the Churchwide
Assembly.  The substitute "would serve notice that Called to
Common Mission is in such trouble that it is a lose-lose
proposition," he said, and it could allow the assembly to vote
against CCM without voting against the Episcopal Church.
Kolden urged conference participants to talk with others in
their congregations.  Lay people understand that ministry in the
21st century will require more flexibility not less, he said.

--Frank Imhoff is associate director of news and information for
the ELCA.