From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Women Give Gift for ELCA Ministries

From NEWS <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 02 Mar 1999 16:13:05

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 2, 1999

WOMEN GIVE GIFT FOR ELCA MINISTRIES
99-08-47-BB*

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) gave a $816,763 gift to the ELCA for its ministries
around the world.  The women's organization of the ELCA has given more
than $11 million to ELCA-related ministries in the last 11 years.
     "Whenever the executive board of the women's organization
prayerfully deals with the budget and our stewardship of God's
abundance, I am reminded of the women who give generously and have a
sincere love for Women of the ELCA and the church," said Sharroll
Bernahl, Fort Morgan, Colo., president of Women of the ELCA.  "I wish to
thank them from the bottom of my heart for their gifts to the women's
organization, and I thank the leaders who come forward in faith to lead
Women of the ELCA."
     "The gospel is a powerful and needed message in this time," said
Catherine I.H. Braasch, executive director of Women of the ELCA.  "This
gift reflects God's grace at work through thousands of women and women's
recognition of the needs of society today.  Women of the ELCA is pleased
to be able to share this gift."
     Among the ministries supported by the gift are the ELCA World
Hunger program, leadership development for women, missionary support,
public policy ministry, and rural and urban ministries.
     "Women of this church give because they have received much," said
Braasch.  She said women of the church know the power of Jesus' love and
grace in their lives and want to pass that on.  "They do pass it on in
response to natural disasters and other crises, and in their witness in
daily life in ongoing support for the mission of Women of the ELCA,
congregations and ELCA synods," she said.
     Women of the ELCA budgets a financial gift to the ELCA every year.
The organization is active in 8,596 congregations in 64 of the 65 synods
of the ELCA.
     Women of the ELCA will host its Fourth Triennial Convention July
8-11, 1999, in St. Louis under the theme "Live God's Justice."  A
gathering for women of color, "For Such A Time As This," will precede
the triennial convention July 5-7 in St. Louis.

                                            --30--

     [Bonnie B. Belasic is director of communication for Women of the
ELCA.]
For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html