From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Why Partnership?-Partners as Mentors

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 02 Mar 1999 20:07:39

2-March-1999
99088

    Why Partnership?-Partners as Mentors

    by Hunter S. Farrell
    Presbyterian Mission Co-worker in Peru

LIMA-In these days of neoliberal economics, where invisible, impersonal
market forces instantly determine prices and decree feast or famine for
millions around the globe, some people would say that a missiology of
partnership is far too cumbersome.

    Working in partnership takes too much time; rather than "doing mission"
immediately, partnership forces us to involve ourselves in the difficult,
laborious and sometimes messy task of being in relationship: first
understanding, then valuing, and then trusting the insights of our
neighbor.  "We appreciated getting to know folks from the local church,"
summarized one work team, "but our group could have gotten the health
clinic built in four days if we didn't have to wait for them to contribute
the bricks...."

    Partnership makes us dependent on other members of the Body of Christ -
their schedules, their priorities, their organizational weak points, their
values.  In the international context of PC(USA) mission relationships,
partnership often pushes us into relationship with poor and oppressed
members of the body of Christ - and that is a feeling I do not enjoy.
Embracing my insurance policies, second helpings at mealtime, and
comfortable home, I prefer not to be reminded that many of my partners
(read: "brothers and sisters") are experiencing, even today, the sharp ache
of hunger, another night of homelessness, or the long wait for refugee
processing.

    And yet this intentional binding of ourselves to particular members of
the body of Christ is proving to be a vehicle of God's saving grace to our
church - a church considered one of the wealthiest in the world partnered
with some of the materially poorest partners, a church of declining
membership partnered with some of the fastest growing churches in the
world, a church rent by theological divisions partnered with some churches
that have discovered remarkable unity around issues of mission, service,
liberation and evangelization.

    To work in partnership is to bind oneself to persons who may know much
more than we do about what it means to share sacrificially, to rest fully
in God's provision, and to persevere in faith through suffering.  On a
personal note, I think it's fair to say that I've very rarely been
"out-given" in my relationship with partner Christians in the "Two-Thirds
World."  I am almost always given the best seat, the first choice, the
biggest say, and the largest portion.  On more than one occasion I have
eaten a feast prepared with the last chicken or measure of corn flour that
the hosting community had left.

    And while I often calculate exactly how much I should put in my local
church's offering plate (so as not to create unhealthy "dependency" on my
contribution), I am daily confronted with extremely poor Christians who,
like the widow of Luke 21:1ff, give out of their own poverty with what
seems to me to be sheer reckless abandon.  This sense of abandonment into
God's hands is not a natural, but rather, a learned response.

    Two weeks ago, I took a trip to Ayachucho, a region in Peru's Andean
highlands characterized by extreme poverty, 42 percent illiteracy, and deep
and festering wounds from the 15 years of the political violence that raged
between the Peruvian government and the Shining Path Liberation Movement.
In the town of Callqui (Quechua for rocky, unproductive soil), I had a long
and intense evening conversation with a group of mothers, many of them
single or widowed, who are deeply concerned about helping their children
live a more abundant life than they themselves have experienced.

    I am learning not to seek these kinds of meetings unless I am prepared
for deep and painful personal transformation.  Perhaps it was in order not
to hear fully the pain that these women had experienced from the years of
dehumanizing poverty at the hands of both government soldiers and
terrorists that i busied my mind with the details of development planning -
what a quality children's education or water well project might look like,
how much it would cost, which donor agencies we might contact for support,
etc.

    As the meeting ended late that night, an older woman with long braids
who had slipped out at the end of the meeting came up to me with tears in
her tired eyes: "Thank you for coming," she said simply, and gave me a
carefully wrapped package.  A local friend later explained to me that Ana's
husband had been murdered 12 years ago when Peruvian government troops,
acting on an erroneous tip-off, arrived suddenly during a worship service
of the Callqui Presbyterian Church and rounded up and shot seven men.  They
were accused of terrorism, but no charges were made or proven.  No
questions were asked.  Ana's husband, a farmer and long-time Presbyterian
elder, was among those executed.

    Ana now makes her living by embroidering and selling three or four
white cotton tablecloths each month.  Ana's gift to us was a beautiful
white tablecloth with the words "His Love Makes Us Whole" embroidered on it
in bright red, blue and yellow thread.  And though her gift represented
perhaps a fourth of her monthly income, she arose from a late night meeting
and walked all the way home to bring to me a gift from the heart.  A token
of gratitude for the past and hope for the future.  I later learned that
Ana has been a pillar of support in that grieving community, organizing the
widows, encouraging single mothers, even cajoling the Presbyterian session
into action to help the children of the rocky, yet now productive soil.

    Ana represents to me a kind of person that I have met often on my own
path of discipleship with Jesus Christ.  A person who knows what really
matters in this incredibly complex, yet remarkable simple world of ours and
can give out of her own poverty because all she is giving is love, which
miraculously multiplies when given freely.  Ana has learned, as a more
faithful follower of Calvin than perhaps I will ever be, to rest fully in
her faith in God's providence and provision.  She knows what it means to
persevere in faith, even when human wisdom can offer no reason to continue
to believe.

    Perhaps Ana is one of the reasons that brought me to work in Peru -
because by God's grace, I have become aware of the hole in my own soul that
is being filled daily by God's love and forgiveness and grace extended to
me through the ministry of persons living in extreme poverty of possessions
but extreme wealth of the spirit.  Persons whose love, together with
Christ's, makes me whole.  Persons I am privileged to consider as partners
on this road toward personal and societal transformation.