From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New Adventist Church President At Press Conference

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 06 Mar 1999 10:55:10

March, 5, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

New Church President Says Adventists Are a "Unique
World-wide Family of God-Participants, Not Spectators"

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA, [APD/ANN] Pastor Jan
Paulsen, newly elected president of the Seventh-day
Adventist Church, answered questions during a press
conference and at a specially broadcast edition of the
Church's Adventist Communication Network (ACN) satellite
television program "First Wednesday."

Asked what he saw as the greatest challenge for the
Church, Paulsen referred to the rapid growth in
membership and the need to preserve its sense as a
unique world-wide family.

"The Seventh-day Adventist Church is a rapidly growing
church," said Paulsen.  "The world membership is past the
10 million mark baptised adult members.  If you add in
children, we are a spiritual community of some 15 million
around the world.  Ninety percent of that membership is
outside North America and it is established in every part,
every culture virtually of the world and growing strongly.
And for that we praise the Lord and are happy to be part
of the Lord's outreach to mankind.

"It's the constant challenge that the Church faces
everywhere-how to communicate the gospel attractively
and how to demonstrate, both by what is being said and
by what is being offered in services, how Christ's presence
in one's life brings richness and fullness.

"As I look at the Church internationally, the cultural and
ethnic diversity of the Church is both a huge blessing and a
gift to the Church, but it's also an enormous challenge.
How do you hold such a large international community
together as one?  I would see the task of maintaining the
family as one, and supporting the family of believers in all
cultures and ethnic communities to grow and to be strong.
That, I think, is probably the biggest challenge that I
would see ahead of us."

During the March 2 press conference, Paulsen was
questioned about women's ordination and its place in the
Church's agenda. Responding, Paulsen pointed to the
contribution by women and youth in the dynamic growth of
the Church.

"Solutions in matters such as those are arrived at on the
basis of consultation," said Paulsen. "The church is a
representative system of leadership whereby the Church
from the local level through its national leadership select
individuals who will be part of that larger international
consultation and decision-making process.

"As for the specific issue you have raised about women's
ordination, the church has considered that over a long
period and the fact of the matter is that women make up
over half of the total membership of the Church.  But so do
also youth.  Fifty percent of the membership of our Church
is under 30 years of age.  Clearly, whether you are a
young person or a woman, you are not a spectator in the
Church.  The Church belongs to you.  You are the Church.
And around the world, I see a strong, creative,
participatory presence by both women and youth in the
creative initiatives of the Church.  It has to move forward
that way.

"The Church also needs to ask and go on asking itself
about issues that have to do with the practical identity of
the Church around the world. Questions arise as to
practice-can we do it the same way everywhere at the
same time?  Are we ready for it?  And that's an important
question that you have to ponder and we continue to do
that."

Speaking about the relationship between the academic
community and the world Church in general, Paulsen drew
from his personal experience.

"I spent a number of years in the academic community as
professor of theology and as college president," said
Paulsen. "They were wonderful years.  I think that I
understand how the academic community functions and
some of their concerns that they have.  I will want to be
open to the on-going, continuous dialogue, not just
between this headquarters and the academic community,
but between this headquarters and any and all institutions
that we have as a Church.  Our institutions of higher
learning, of which we have many, and our hospitals, of
which we have many, I see them all as participants in the
mission of the Church, and they need to be clear about
their own identity and role in discharging that sacred
function.  So, I am both very open to the needs of the
educational institutions and will welcome opportunities to
maintain an open dialogue with our academic community."

issues leading to the former president's resignation,
Paulsen emphasised the openness and integrity of the
Church and its leadership.

"The Church leadership tries to maintain a good, cordial,
open communication system," said Paulsen.  "The Church
needs to look into the future, as indeed we do.  And we,
the Church, also learn by things that may not have been
done as effectively as one would have wished.  But as we
go into the future, the challenges of such a large, dynamic
community, as the one of which we are a part, is really an
all-consuming focus.  And I will do my very best to make
sure that as we move forward, both the openness and the
integrity of the Church and its leadership remains strong."

As for his own future, Paulsen was non-committal past
2000.  "I think that to begin to either guess or
prognosticate as to what 2000 will bring, that really is far
too premature.  Who knows, they may not want me a year
and a half from now."

As for his current status, Paulsen expressed his
appreciation at being asked to serve as president. " I am
very happy, I am honoured that the Church has asked me
now to be president.  As you know, that is not a coronation
of any royalty here.  We are talking about a servant who is
chosen to give spiritual leadership and I am delighted to be
able to do that.  I serve at the pleasure of the Church.
When the Church wishes to look elsewhere for leading
initiative, I shall be only too pleased to help the Church in
that process."

Interviewed by Dan Matthews for ACN's "First Wednesday"
program on March 3, Paulsen identified his assignment as
"indescribably big."

"To put your mind around this assignment, especially
coming into it as suddenly as we did, is a huge task," said
Paulsen. But he was positive and enthusiastic saying "I
enjoy what I'm doing. I have worked for forty years in
ministry, and they have been wonderful years."

As the first president elected who holds doctoral degrees,
Paulsen affirmed that he placed much importance on
education. "My years in education have helped me to
understand what a wonderful privilege it is to create the
mind of a preacher." But he was cautious in advising
others to gain a doctoral degree in a non-church
institution, saying that such a decision depended on the
person's background and experience.

His top priority for the life and ministry of the Church was
to hold together as a world family. "We are unique, a
special people," said Paulsen. "We share the same faith
and define our identity the same way around the world."

His plea for the Church was one of personal involvement.
"It is important that each of us is clear about who we are
and that we are part of one big movement, and that we
make our contribution to that in every possible way-
resources, talents and time-that we do not see ourselves at
any moment as spectators or observers."

Church administrators commenting on Paulsen's election
have applauded his commitment to the Church and his
administrative skills, which place value on discussion and
consensus.

"Jan Paulsen is undoubtedly one of the Church leaders for
whom I have the greatest respect," said Reinder Bruinsma,
currently secretary for the Church's Trans-European
Division who worked with Paulsen in that administration. "I
regard him as a person with great integrity, having an
analytical mind, but at the same time very compassionate.
He is a man who has a great interest in people, and who
takes his team seriously. I am very comfortable with Dr.
Paulsen at the helm."

"Jan Paulsen is the right man for the job," said Calvin
Rock, general vice-president for the Adventist World
Church. "I regard him as not only a warm and caring
person, but as a very perceptive and courageous
individual. He will do us good."