From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ADRA Signs Agreement With Habitat

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 06 Mar 1999 12:57:32

March 5, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

ADRA Signs Agreement With Habitat For Humanity
International

Dhaka, Bangladesh, [APD/ADRA] The Adventist
Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) and Habitat for
Humanity International signed a memorandum of
understanding (MOU) to co-operatively arrange low-cost
housing for families of nearly 1,200 women enrolled in
ADRA Bangladesh's Women Empowerment Program
(WEP). The long-term agreement became effective on
March 1, 1999.

The Habitat homes will be built for the families of those
women who have been in the WEP program since 1990, all
located around the city of Mymensingh in northern
Bangladesh. The four groups, of approximately 300 women
each, have successfully completed their micro-credit loans
with ADRA and are currently running small businesses and
earning steady income. Habitat will initiate a new micro-
credit loan for the same women to help them pay, interest-
free, for their new homes.

"We are pleased to be working in the Mymensingh area
with such a respected organisation as ADRA," states Arthur
Orr, Habitat for Humanity Bangladesh representative.
"ADRA has provided years of training and education
through its WEP project to our target constituency and
placed many of them in a position to fulfill their dream of
owning a reliable house in which they can be proud. We
look forward to continuing the work which ADRA began."

There are 16 other groups in various stages of ADRA's
WEP program. Women enrolled in the program develop
small businesses such as setting up street-side markets,
selling the milk from cows they have purchased, or selling
the rice they've grown from purchased land. The profits
received from their businesses are returned to ADRA to
pay off their loans. Upon entering the micro-credit
program, ADRA also educates the women in mother/child
health, literacy and math, and STD/AIDS prevention. Since
1990, ADRA's WEP project has been funded by ADRA
Sweden, Canada and Australia.

If this initial project is a success, the opportunity to expand
will be evaluated by ADRA Bangladesh and Habitat. As the
new WEP groups mature and complete their micro-credit
loans with ADRA, they, too may be evaluated for homes
from Habitat for Humanity International.

Both organisations agree that this new partnership will
enhance the self-esteem of the women and their families,
providing them with the opportunity to own a stable, and
respectable home. In turn, families can devote more
attention to job opportunities, education and health. As the
crushing cycle of poverty is broken, the entire community
changes for the better.

"We appreciate the positive spirit that we have found
working with Habitat," says Chris Smoot, ADRA Bangladesh
director. "The beneficiaries of our Women Empowerment
Project have been requesting housing loans, and this gives
us a perfect opportunity to make them a reality."

Founded in 1976 by Millard and Linda Fuller, Habitat for
Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical
Christian housing ministry dedicated to eliminating
substandard housing and homelessness world-wide and to
making adequate, affordable shelter a matter of
conscience and action. Habitat invites people from all faiths
and walks of life to work together in partnership, building
houses with families in need. Habitat has built some
70,000 houses around the world, providing more than
350,000 people with safe, decent, affordable shelter.
[99/06/01]