From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Creation-Evolution Debate Still Issue for Public Schools

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 06 Mar 1999 12:59:37

March 5, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Creation-Evolution Debate Still an Issue for U.S. Public
Schools

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA,  [ANN/APD] The debate over
creation versus evolution is still an education issue in
public schools, especially the provision of material that
supports creation.

In the Detroit area, recent press reports document the
vote of a local state school in Martindale to place anti-
evolution books in the school library. The request for this
action came from a local church minister who wanted to
have other positions on this issue available to students,
saying that they had the right to know more than one side
of the story.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1987 that creationism
was a religious belief and could not be taught in public
schools. However opportunities to be aware of alternatives
to evolution and not to teach the theory as fact have been
urged in many states, including recent instances in
Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho and Texas.

"We are firmly committed to the concept that God is
Creator of the Universe, including our world and
humanity," says Humberto Rasi, Education director at the
Seventh-day Adventist Church's World Headquarters in
Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. "In our schools we of course
present creation, and discuss evolution theory-but as
theory, and not as proven fact. I personally believe it is far
more reasonable and scientific to accept the Biblical
account of creation than the gradual beginnings and
development of organisms over millions of years. But I also
believe it is important to present the evidence and to
encourage students to make up their minds themselves.
We are not obscurantists living in the past, but open and
honest Christians who believe in an intelligent faith."
[99/06/06]