From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Head Condemns Gaither Murder

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 08 Mar 1999 14:23:02

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227
Email: news@ncccusa.org  Web: www.ncccusa.org

25NCC3/8/99  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC GENERAL SECRETARY CONDEMNS MURDER OF GAY ALABAMA MAN

 NEW YORK, March 8 ---- National Council of Churches General
Secretary Joan B. Campbell today expressed her shock and sorrow at
the brutal murder of Billy Jack Gaither, a gay Alabama man, saying,
"No person should fear for his or her life simply because of who he
or she is."

 On Feb. 19, Mr. Gaither, a 39-year-old textile worker from
Sylacauga, Ala., was beaten to death with an ax handle and his body
burned atop two old tires doused with kerosene.  His remains were
found the next day by a passer-by.

 Steven Mullins, 25, and Charles Butler Jr., 21, both
construction workers from Sylacauga, were arrested March 4 and
charged with the murder.  Police said they had told investigators
they killed Mr. Gaither because he was homosexual.

 "The National Council of Churches long has spoken out for
equal protection under the law for all who live in our nation,
whatever their race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity,
disability or creed," Dr. Campbell said.  "All people merit full
civil rights including protection from bodily harm, and from denial
or loss of employment or housing.

 "Our outrage against hate crimes grows each time we add
another example to the list: Matthew Shepard for being gay, James
Byrd, Jr., for being black, and so many others whose names never
make the national headlines."

 She urged people to speak out in their congregations and
communities against hate crimes and hate group activities, and to
press the U.S. Congress - and the 29 states, including Alabama, that
afford no hate crime protections to homosexual people - to enact
them.

 "Our thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Gaither's family,
friends and community," Dr. Campbell concluded, "with all who have
suffered such loss, and all whose fear for life and safety is
heightened by this crime."

-end-
 -0-