From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ministers urged to be grounded in Christ

From "Curt Miller"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 10 Mar 1999 08:04:56

Date: March 10, 1999
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

99b-15

NASHVILLE (DNS) -- Images of being rooted and grounded in
Christ
and sustained by living water permeated addresses to
persons attending
the 25th Black Minister's Retreat here March 1-4.

The more than 200 African American Christian Church
(Disciples of
Christ) ministers convened around the theme "A Revelation
for the
Revolution: Rooted and Grounded in God." The delegation met
at the
(National) Baptist World Center here.

Clergy today are constantly moving, yet getting little
done, said the Rev.
Stephanie Crowder, Nashville, in an opening address.
Ministers need to
be grounded and nourished -- both literally and
spiritually. "We need to
dig deep roots into God's soil. We need to be rooted and
grounded."

The Tennessee associate regional minister urged them to let
Christ
"establish permanent settlement in your life. The result of
Christ setting
up shop in you is more security in him," Crowder said.
Without that
security or grounding, "we're always ready to quit."
Likewise, without
good roots pastors cannot get the nourishment needed to
carry out their
ministries.

"All life needs water to live. . . . Water is synonymous
with life," echoed
the Rev. Bernice Powell Jackson, executive director, United
Church of
Christ Commission for Racial Justice, Cleveland. "We're in
need of deep
watering that not even a lawn care service can provide."

"If we will open ourselves up to Jesus . . .  and pour out
those feelings of
ineptitude and envy, then Jesus can fill our pitchers,"
Jackson said. The
water Christ gives lasts beyond the trouble church officers
can cause or
the pain a teetering marriage can bring.

Drinking that water, however, means "we have an obligation
to see that
others may drink," she added. "There are many, many sisters
and brothers
we have lost to the streets. We have an obligation to use
that water for the
revolution."

If every black church in America would use that living
water for
revolution, for economic development and for political
empowerment,
then there will be a revelation, Jackson said.

In other activities, ministers participated in workshops on
clergy
misconduct and internalized racism. In addition, Homeland
Ministries
recognized persons who had been ordained 50 years or more.

Recognized for 50 years of ordained ministry were the Revs.
A.M.
Cogdell, Hempstead, N.C.; K. David Cole and William K. Fox,
Sr.,
Kansas City; Benjamin F. Fleming, Phoenix, Ariz.; E.L.
Griffin, Flint,
Mich.; R.E. Hancock, Louisville, Ky.; J.L. Melvin,
Goldsboro, N.C.,
Zellie M. Peoples, Indianapolis; Earl W. Rand, Marshall,
Texas, and E.B.
Washington, Summerville, Texas.

                  -- end --