From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Disciples leader responds to King verdict

From "Curt Miller"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 10 Mar 1999 10:14:15

*Disciples News Service

Date:  March 10, 1999
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

99b-14

INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- The leader of the Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ) today (March 10) said life
imprisonment might be a more appropriate punishment for the
killer of Jasper, Texas, resident James Byrd, Jr. General
Minister and President Richard L. Hamm also offered
sympathy to the Byrd family.

John William King was sentenced to death for the June 7
slaying. Two co-defendants also will be tried for the
crime.

"First, my prayers are offered on behalf of the family of
James Byrd, Jr. who have suffered so much . . . especially
in the face of the revelation that James was actually alive
during much of the torturous dragging behind John William
King's pickup truck.

"As much as I detest the murder of James Byrd, Jr., I
remain opposed to the death penalty," said the Disciples
leader. For one reason, capital punishment "is not
administered in a perfectly just way. A disproportionate
number of those who receive the death penalty are African
American." (King is reportedly the first white Texan
sentenced to die for killing a black person in modern
times.)

Hamm also cited the victimization of innocent persons by
capital punishment, calling it "a tragedy which can never
be undone."

While condemning the torturous attack on Byrd, the general
minister and president said life imprisonment without
parole is more suitable. Life without parole
"forces one who perpetrates such a horrible crime to face a
lifetime of guilt and remorse . . . a fate worse than
death," he said. Life in prison also "holds out the
possibility of a murderer someday coming to repentance."

Besides offering sympathies to the Byrd family, the
Disciples leader had comforting words for Ronald King,
father of the convicted killer. "My prayers are offered on
behalf of King's father, who appears to have been a loving
parent who cannot understand how his son became so filled
with hate and rage and who has reached out to Byrd's family
in sorrow and shame."

The entire tragedy, Hamm said, is an opportunity for all
U.S. citizens to "reflect on the very real presence of
racism in our culture and within ourselves. By doing this,
we would bring some measure of redemption to James Byrd's
death."

	-- end --

Reflections on the King verdict by General Minister and
President Richard L. Hamm:

First, my prayers are offered on behalf of the family of
James Byrd, Jr. who have suffered so much . . . especially
in the face of the revelation that James was actually alive
during much of the
torturous dragging behind John William King's pickup
truck.

Second, my prayers are offered on behalf of King's father,
who appears to have been a loving parent who cannot
understand how his son became so filled with hate and rage
and who has reached out to Byrd's family in sorrow and
shame.

Third, as much as I detest the murder of James Byrd, Jr., I
remain opposed to the death penalty. Why? In part, because
as Supreme Court Justice (Harry) Blackmun said many years
ago in his opposition to capital punishment, the death
penalty is not administered in a perfectly just way. A
disproportionate number of those who receive the death
penalty are African-American (it is worth noting that King
is the first white Texan to be sentenced to die for killing
a black person). In addition, many innocent people have
been put to death . . . a tragedy which can never be
undone.  I believe that life in prison without parole is a
suitable punishment because it holds out the possibility of
a murderer someday coming to repentance.

In my less charitable moments, I also believe in "life
without parole" because it forces one who perpetrates such
a horrible crime to face a lifetime of guilt and remorse .
. . a  fate worse than
death.

While it is easy for white Americans to vigorously condemn
King's outrageous actions, we must be careful that we do
not do so in an attempt merely to minimize or deny our own
bigotry and our own participation in the racist structures
of our society. May this tragedy instead be an occasion for
all Americans to reflect on the very real presence of
racism in our culture and within ourselves. By doing this,
we would bring some measure of redemption to James Byrd's
death.

	# # #

Disciples News Service releases
are available at http://www.disciples.org/dns/index.htm