From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ministers urged to be grounded in Christ

From "Curt Miller"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 10 Mar 1999 10:22:42

* Disciples News Service

Date: March 10, 1999
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

99b-15

NASHVILLE (DNS) -- Images of being rooted and grounded in
Christ and sustained by living water permeated addresses to
persons attending the 25th Black Minister's Retreat here
March 1-4.

The more than 200 African American Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ) ministers convened around the theme
"A Revelation for the Revolution: Rooted and Grounded in
God." The delegation met at the (National) Baptist World
Center here.

Clergy today are constantly moving, yet getting little
done, said the Rev. Stephanie Crowder, Nashville, in an
opening address. Ministers need to be grounded and
nourished -- both literally and spiritually. "We need to
dig deep roots into God's soil. We need to be rooted and
grounded."

The Tennessee associate regional minister urged them to let
Christ "establish permanent settlement in your life. The
result of Christ setting up shop in you is more security in
him," Crowder said. Without that security or grounding,
"we're always ready to quit." Likewise, without good roots
pastors cannot get the nourishment needed to carry out
their ministries.

"All life needs water to live. . . . Water is synonymous
with life," echoed the Rev. Bernice Powell Jackson,
executive director, United Church of Christ Commission for
Racial Justice, Cleveland. "We're in need of deep watering
that not even a lawn care service can provide."

"If we will open ourselves up to Jesus . . .  and pour out
those feelings of ineptitude and envy, then Jesus can fill
our pitchers," Jackson said. The water Christ gives lasts
beyond the trouble church officers can cause or the pain a
teetering marriage can bring.

Drinking that water, however, means "we have an obligation
to see that others may drink," she added. "There are many,
many sisters and brothers we have lost to the streets. We
have an obligation to use that water for the revolution."

If every black church in America would use that living
water for revolution, for economic development and for
political empowerment, then there will be a revelation,
Jackson said.

In other activities, ministers participated in workshops on
clergy misconduct and internalized racism. In addition,
Homeland Ministries recognized persons who had been
ordained 50 years or more.

Recognized for 50 years of ordained ministry were the Revs.
A.M. Cogdell, Hempstead, N.C.; K. David Cole and William K.
Fox, Sr., Kansas City; Benjamin F. Fleming, Phoenix, Ariz.;
E.L. Griffin, Flint, Mich.; R.E. Hancock, Louisville, Ky.;
J.L. Melvin, Goldsboro, N.C., Zellie M. Peoples,
Indianapolis; Earl W. Rand, Marshall, Texas, and E.B.
Washington, Summerville, Texas.

	-- end --