From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presbyterian Elder Disappears in Iowa Without a Trace

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 11 Mar 1999 23:38:21

99102

    Presbyterian Elder Disappears in Iowa Without a Trace

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -A 51-year-old Presbyterian elder disappeared without a
trace six days ago in Davenport, Iowa.

    Elder Harry Swarts, a longtime member of the 121-member St. Andrew
Presbyterian Church in Davenport, was last seen early in the morning March
6.  Swarts reportedly told his wife, Ann, that he had an appointment with
an unnamed buyer for their daughter's car and he has not been seen since.

    "We've got posters spread all over town," said Pam Clark, spouse of St.
Andrews' pastor, the Rev. Jim Clark.  "Our phone has rung off the hook.
But there is not a clue."

    The posters - which include a picture of Swarts - read: "Harry Swarts,
hair grey; eyes hazel; 5' 10", 220 pounds.  Last seen wearing: a green
striped t-shirt, old blue jeans, tennis shoes and a tan jacket.  If you
have information on Harry's whereabouts, please contact the Davenport
Police Department at 319-326-7979 or the Rev. Jim Clark at St. Andrew's at
319-322-5250."

    According to the Davenport Police Department, Swarts' wife spoke with
him by telephone March 5 when he reported that a prospective buyer intended
to look at the car March 6 and that he intended to go to his office to do
some work that day as well.  She was trapped in Chicago by snow and
returned home the morning of March 6 to an empty house.  The car was also
missing. When her husband did not return home by evening, she contacted the
police.

    "We're looking at all the prospects," Lieutenant Dennis Kern, public
information office for the Davenport police, told the Presbyterian News
Service.  "There was nothing at the house to indicate foul play.  There was
nothing at the office to indicate foul play.  But we haven't found the car
yet either."

    A national search has been issued for the 1991 silver gray Mazda
Protege.

    "We've asked the presbytery (East Iowa) and the synod (Lakes and
Prairies) folks to remember Harry, Ann and their three girls in their
prayers.  We're asking that if someone happens to see him to call the
police department.  And if they do not want to get involved with the
police, then call me," said Clark, noting that - as more time goes by - the
congregation's and the family's fear of foul play is increasing.

    Kerns said police are looking at all the possibilities now -- checking
areas Swarts might normally frequent, calling friends, business associates
and family.  "There are a number of reasons why people disappear - and
they're not always forced to.  Sometimes they voluntarily drop out of
society.  That's a prospect that we can't say happened, but we can't
overlook it either," he told the Presbyterian News Service.

    Clark's spouse said the family feels that voluntary disappearance is
not likely and that Swarts' payroll check remains uncashed, his credit
cards are still unused and there have been no ATM withdrawals from his bank
accounts.

    The congregation heard about his disappearance at the church's coffee
fellowship following worship March 7.  Swarts was ordained as an elder at
St. Andrew's in 1976 and has served several terms.  He is currently chair
of the Corporate Affairs Committee.