From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Commission Upholds Decision Allowing Gay Elder to Serve on Session

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 11 Mar 1999 23:39:23

99100

    Judicial Commission Upholds Decision
    Allowing Gay Elder to Serve on Session

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Although an appeal is likely, the Permanent Judicial
Commission (PJC) of Southern New England Presbytery has upheld a
Connecticut church's decision to install a gay elder to serve on its
session.

    The commission's 4-1 decision, handed down on March 6, is the first
test case of a hotly debated - but overwhelmingly approved - amendment to
the constitution of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) that requires deacons,
elders and ministers to "live either in fidelity within the covenant of
marriage between a man and a woman, or in chastity in singleness." The
requirement is provision G.60106b of "The Book of Order," but commonly
known as Amendment B.

    The case was initiated by two members of the First Presbyterian Church
in Stamford, Conn. - Mairi Hair and James McCallum -  who argued that the
pending installation of Elder Wayne Osborne, 38, at the Stamford church
would violate the 1997 constitutional provision that prevents practicing
homosexuals from being ordained or installed in church offices.

    The Stamford church pointed out that, while Osborne admitted to being
in a relationship with another man, he had declined to say whether it was
"a sexually active partnership." The church contended that provision
G.60106b requires that repentance of any practice the church's historical
confessions deem sinful must be "self-acknowledged." The church also
maintained that its session went through a thorough process of nomination,
examination and election as it considered re-installing Osborne as an elder
in the 700-member congregation.

    The PJC concluded that the session's examination of Osborne, "though
arguably imperfect, satisfactorily discharged its duty to inquire," and
that Osborne's acknowledgment of his homosexual orientation "falls short of
the self-acknowledgment of an unrepentant homosexual practice established
by Amendment B as a bar to church office." The commission went on to say
that the language of Amendment B implicitly requires "voluntary,
self-disclosure. ... To interpret Amendment B otherwise," it wrote, "is to
begin down a slippery slope that leads to inquisition."

    "Yes, he evades the question," the Rev. Blair Moffett, a co-pastor of
the Stamford Church,  told the Presbyterian News Service in a March 8
telephone interview when asked about Osborne's  declining to answer the
session's inquiry about his sexual practices. "The question is: Does he
have a right to do that? He has, I believe, the right and privilege under
our constitution to acknowledge - or not - behavior understood by all of us
to be private.

    "The Session," Moffett said, "has the responsibility under the
constitution to examine people for office, and it did the best it could: It
took the constitution seriously, it looked at what Amendment B required
 ..."

              A representative of the complainants, Elder William Prey, a
member of a PC(USA) congregation in Old Greenwich, Conn., said the case is
under study and an appeal is likely.

    "We, of course, need some time to study the full decision,"Prey said in
a written statement, "and IF we find there is a basis upon which to appeal,
as provided for in our constitution, we would feel obligated to continue
with the case. As always, our goal throughout this process is to continue
to work within our churches as we seek to abide by our scriptural and
constitutional standards for all members and elected leaders."

    If the decision is appealed, the case would go next to the Permanent
Judicial Commission of the Synod of the Northeast, and, beyond that, to the
General Assembly Permanent Judicial Commission.

    A stay on Osborne's installation has been continued for 30 days by
order of the PJC, in order to give time for an appeal. An initial stay was
granted on the morning of the planned installation.

    The PJC also said in its ruling that it was "not established by the
preponderance of evidence" that the session was behaving defiantly.

    Responding to a charge that session members failed to be governed by
church polity, the PJC said that the session conducted its examination and
election of Osborne "reasonably, responsibly, and deliberately within the
Constitution of the Church." On the fifth complaint filed against the
session - that it had previously indicated in documents that Osborne's
installation would be contrary to Amendment B - the PJC said, while the
documents could have been "more carefully worded," they provide a "wholly
inadequate basis for a finding of bad faith."

    According to "The Hartford Courant," Osborne appeared at a press
conference at the church on the day after the decision was made.

      "My prayer," he reportedly said then, "is that we all will continue
to fight to further the cause of God's inclusive love. I also continue to
hope this process will illustrate that sexual orientation should not be
used to discriminate, and that gays and lesbians continue to be called to
God's service."

    Osborne served his first three-year term on the session in 1994, but,
according to "The New York Times," he divulged to the congregation that he
was in a long-term relationship with another man - a fellow congregant -
between then and now.

    The 21-page majority decision was approved by Elder Samuel Hamilton of
First Presbyterian Church of Hartford, Conn., the PJC chair; Elder Mark
Carta of the Wilton Presbyterian Church,Wilton, Conn.; the Rev. Gail
Faithfull of Bedford, N.Y; and the Rev. Barbara Hager of New London, Conn..

     The Rev. William P. Showalter of Orleans, Mass., a retired pastor,
wrote a dissenting opinion, arguing that the Stamford session was remiss in
its examination of Osborne, first and foremost by "not [being] adequately
prepared." Further, Showalter said, it did not "adequately question"
Osborne, particularly if it had "prior knowledge or assumption of
knowledge" about Osborne's "sexual activity as a single person."

    "There certainly appeared to be a clear violation of a clear
constitutional requirement, (which) is important in a connectional church,"
said Prey.

    Prey contended that the debate about the Stamford church's election of
Osborne is more about process than about politics - and is not an anti-gay
action, although some people may view it that way.

    "We're not against Wayne Osborne himself," he said. "We know and love
Wayne Osborne. He is a gifted individual. This is not a gay-bashing thing."

    Neither is it an attempt to defy the church's constitution, said
Moffett, who has taught polity at Yale Divinity School for 15 years -
although that accusation has been made against the congregation.

    "We did everything the constitution requires," he said. "This wasn't
easy. This is kind of new territory ... and it was a not a very pleasant
thing to do. ... (We're dealing) with a thoughtful, talented, faithful,
gifted person who is well-known in this congregation and who served as an
elder already. It was the most normal thing in the world (that he be
considered). And from that point on, this has been purely and simply an
effort to deal responsibly with that nomination. ...

    "It just so happens (that) we've been trying to do that in a
mine-field."

    The trial was held on Feb. 26 at the Quinnipiac School of Law in
Hamden, Conn.