From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Christians say it is time to act on racism

From "EAUK Press Office" <press@eauk.org>
Date 12 Mar 1999 02:47:09

For Immediate Release: 11/3/99

News Release from the Black Christian Civic Forum, UK

A conference has been organised by the Black Civic Christian
Forum (BCCF), launched earlier this year, to urge Christians to
make an active response to the Macpherson Report on the
Stephen Lawrence Inquiry.

R. David Muir, executive director of the BCCF said: "We want
Christians to be aware of this report's recommendations and to get
more involved in their local communities. We will encourage them
to be more active by taking on roles such as local councillors,
school governors or getting involved in the criminal justice system.
We want to encourage them to make their values felt within their
communities."

Speakers will include Dr Richard Stone, advisor to the Lawrence
Inquiry; John Grieve, director of the Metropolitan Police's Racial
and Violent Crime Task Force; Rt. Rev. John Sentamu, the Bishop
of Stepney; Trevor Phillips, presenter and broadcaster; Lord Archer;
Pastor Ashimolowo, senior pastor of the Kingsway International
Christian Centre and Pastor Ade Okonrende of the Redeemed
Christian Church of God.

The conference will take place on Saturday 20th March from 10:00 -
 3.30pm at the Kingsway International Christian Centre, 57
Waterden Road, Hackney, London E15. Entry is free.

For further information on the conference please phone 0181 473
6771 or 0181 556 5617

Ends

Notes

The Black Civic Christian Forum was launched in January this year
to encourage Black Christians to become more involved in politics
and social action.  It is backed by Black Majority Churches in
Britain and leaders from the Church of England, the Evangelical
Alliance and the Council of Churches for Britain and Ireland. There
are over 1,300 Black Majority Churches in Britain.

For further information, contact:

R David Muir on
Phone: 0181 473 6771;
Fax: 0181-480 7914;