From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Anti-Christian Violence in India

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 12 Mar 1999 08:15:38

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Contact: Wendy S. McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227
Email: news@ncccusa.org  Web: www.ncccusa.org

27NCC3/12/99   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CASTE INSECURITY IS AT ROOT OF ANTI-CHRISTIAN
VIOLENCE IN INDIA, MINISTER REPORTS
Visit Comes on Heels of NCC Letter Deploring Anti-Minority
Attacks in India

 NEW YORK, March 9 ---- An Indian minister who has been on a
government-sponsored team investigating recent incidents of
religious violence in his country says that homegrown hatred and
fear, and not outside influences, are at the root of the attacks.

The Rev. Dr. James Massey, a minister in the Church of North
India and a member of the government-sponsored National
Commission for Minorities (NCM), which conducts on-site studies
of the most severe incidents of anti-minority violence, visited
New York Feb. 24-26 as part of a delegation from "Dalit
Solidarity Peoples" (DSP).

After investigating the highly publicized Jan. 22, 1999
murder of Australian missionary Graham Stuart Staines and his two
young sons in Manoharpur village of Orissa and studying anti-
minority attacks in six states, Dr. Massey said the NCM team
concluded that the incidents are part of a "definite plan on the
part of militant Hindus to create insecurity among Christians."

The New York visit, which was co-sponsored by the National
Council of Churches Southern Asia Office, the United Church Board
for World Ministries and Union Theological Seminary, came on the
heels of a Feb. 11 pastoral letter to high-level church leaders
in India about anti-minority violence in India.  In it, NCC
General Secretary the Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell says, "We
deplore attacks on any minority community in India."  She calls
on the government of India to "find moral, legal and
constitutional ways to address these violations."

Interplay Between Caste, Religion and Politics Fuels Violence

Dr. Massey explained that a complex interplay between caste,
religion and politics fuels the violence in India.  "The
government and Hindu nationalist organizations say that anger
over forced conversions and international conspiracies to
discredit the government are behind the attacks," Dr. Massey
said.  "This is not true.  In fact, we found out that militant
activists in Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP) and Rashtriya Sevak
Sangh (RSS), two groups with the aim of preserving Hindu cultural
dominance, met last year and came up with a strategic plan to
weaken `Christians, Dalits and other backward classes.'  That
plan included raping women, destroying places of worship and
using local criminals to kill missionaries and other religious
leaders."

"As I said in the letter, we are deeply disturbed that a
long and noble history of harmonious religious pluralism is being
shattered by a rising tide of religious fundamentalism and
intolerance," Dr. Campbell said.  "In addition to appropriate
government response, we pray that Hindus, Christians and other
religious communities will continue to find opportunities to
cooperate and to rebuild mutual respect and trust."

"The word `Dalit' means `oppressed.'  The term is a
purposeful self-designation by people belonging to a number of
castes considered `untouchable' including Chamars,
Chuhrahs/Bhangis and Mahars," explained the Rev. Dr. John
Webster, a Presbyterian who is Editor of the Dalit International
Newsletter.  "There is a raised fist in the term, because it
implies that caste status is not of their own doing and the
injustice needs to be set right.  Dalits make up 18 to 20 percent
of India's population of 950 million."

In spite of lip service to the rule of law protecting
minorities, Dalits continue to be killed and their homes and
places of worship vandalized.  Dr. Massey reported 750 murders
and between 500 to 1,000 homes destroyed each year.  Poverty and
unemployment are also astronomical among Dalits.

Delegation members said that a link has long been made
between Christians and Dalits for two reasons.  First, 50 percent
of Christians in India are Dalits.  "There is a tradition that
says, `India is meant for Hindus,' meaning that we don't really
belong to this country," said Ms. Soosai Raj Faustina, a teacher
and member of the DSP National Working Committee.

Secondly, "Christians have a history of helping Dalits with
education and economic development," Dr. Massey said.  "This is
very threatening to the upper castes because they have an
interest in maintaining a pool of cheap labour.  They fear losing
their position."

"Even within the Christian church, Dalits are kept separate,
so we suffer discrimination even there," Ms. Faustina said.  She
also reported that upper caste women have kept Dalit women out of
the women's movement, proving to her that "communal and caste
feelings are primary over other commitments like feminism or even
religious faith."

The primacy of caste is exactly what Dr. Massey said he and
the NCM team discovered in their extensive investigations of
anti-Christian violence in Dumka, Ludhiana, Gujarat, Nasik,
Jhabua and Manoharpur.  These crimes include:
  An attack on Roman Catholic priest Father Kristodas in Dumka
(Bihar), vice-principal of St. Joseph's School, during
September 1997.  Father Kristodas was paraded naked by a mob
in the presence of civil administrators and police;
  The assault of more than a dozen Protestant youths at a police
station in Ludhiana during October 1997, allegedly at the
request of Hindu extremists;
  The gang rape of four nuns in a remote village Navapur in
Jhabua district in September 1998;
  Several incidents in Gujarat between the months of July and
December 1998 including the exhuming of corpses, burning of
New Testaments and burning of churches.

"We found that neither the state administration nor anyone
else could produce proof of mass or forced conversions," Dr.
Massey said.  "This is a myth being spread to create hatred among
different groups.  Also, tribal communities are being set against
one another."   The NCM team found the source of the attacks and
divisive rhetoric to be right-wing groups.

"The culprits include people belonging to various
fundamentalist groups as well as personnel belong to government
administration and police," Dr. Massey said.  Yet according to
Dr. Massey, "in nearly all the cases of anti-minority violence,
the culprits have not been punished."

Lack of Political Will Prevents Execution of Recommendations

Pushing both for punishment of offenders and prevention, the
NCM Commission issued detailed reports, including extensive
recommendations, to the government.  In the NCM "Report on
Minority Situation in Gujarat," 20 concrete recommendations
included:
  Convening meetings of non-political representatives of all
religious communities to discuss ways to create, promote and
preserve harmony.
  Ordering proper, effective and time-bound enquiries into all
incidents of anti-Minority violence and vandalism that have
occurred since March 1998.
  Awarding deterrent punishment to all those found guilty of
crimes against Minorities
  Paying adequate compensation to victims of anti-Minority
violence
  Setting up a Minorities Welfare Department in the State
Government Secretariat
  Protecting all places of worship
  Implementing the provisions of the Constitution of India,
provisions of the Indian Penal Code relating to Offences
against Religion, and other relevant legislative enactments.

 Dr. Massey said that so far, the NCM recommendations have
not been acted upon "because the political will is lacking at the
state and central levels."

 Dr. Massey and other delegation members said they expect
continued attempts to divide their movement. said Professor N.G.
Meshram, National Treasurer of DSP and a Buddhist.  That Dalits
might be united "creates the greatest fear in the minds of the
upper classes," said Professor N.G. Meshram, National Treasurer
of DSP and a Buddhist.  But he said that DSP does not wish for
revenge.  "All we want is to be able to identify ourselves.
Enough miseries have been suffered for the ages," he said.

 "Politically and economically, the upper castes hold the
power," added Ms. Faustina.  "So the fear is always there,
especially among those of us who resist."

Meanwhile, Dalits continue to face daily discrimination and
violence no matter what their economic status.  "I am a teacher
with some economic resources, and still I am always reminded of
my Dalitness," said Ms. Faustina.  "I have trouble finding
housing, because the first question on a housing application is
`What is your caste.'"

Ms. Faustina explained that even though she teaches in a
mixed school run by the Roman Catholic church in Ongur, Dalits
are still separated in the village.  "Normally, Dalits are put on
the East side of the village because the wind goes from West to
East and non-Dalits don't want to be contaminated by wind that
has touched Dalits.  Meanwhile, all the institutions are in the
non-Dalit area of the village.  We are resisting all these
things," she said.

Dr. Massey encouraged U.S. church members to learn about the
Dalit's situation and to support organizations like DSP as well
as schools and other institutions that support Dalits.

The NCC has supported Dalit programs for many years
including the DSP's predecessor, the Dalit Solidarity Programme
of the World Council of Churches.

-end-
 -0-