From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

POSITIVE, NEGATIVE SURPRISES IN AFGHANISTAN

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 15 Mar 1999 12:23:47

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Contact: Wendy McDowell, NCC News, 212-870-2227
Email: news@ncccusa.org  Web: www.ncccusa.org

28NCC3/15/99 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC STAFF REPORT POSITIVE, NEGATIVE SURPRISES
ABOUT CONDITIONS IN AFGHANISTAN

 NEW YORK, March 15 ---- As a possible breakthrough in
peace talks in Turkmenistan has been announced by United
Nations mediators, two National Council of Churches (NCC)
staff members recently back from a week-long trip to
Afghanistan report that conditions observed first-hand are
worse than they expected but that they also witnessed
glimpses of hope.

 "Even though I knew Afghanistan has been a war zone for
20 years, I was still surprised to see the number of
hospitals and houses which looked blown apart and to see
rusty tanks left over from the War (with the Soviet Union),"
said the Rev. Larry Tankersley, head of the NCC's Southern
Asia office who traveled to Afghanistan for the first time
Feb. 20-26 to visit medical clinics there.  "I didn't see
any evidence that things are getting better in Afghanistan.
Although peace talks continue and we are hopeful about this
latest report, we were told that this is typical.  During
the winter they talk, but during the spring and summer they
start to fight again."

 A March 14 Associated Press report indicated that
warring factions in Afghanistan "have agreed in principle on
the creation of a coalition government to include all of the
country's political forces."  According to the report, the
Taliban religious army now controls about 90 percent of
Afghanistan while the northern opposition rules the
remaining 10 percent.

 "We had to get permission from the Taliban to go in and
out, we were forbidden to take pictures, and because of the
kidnapping problem, we traveled with an armed guard," Rev.
Tankersley reported.

 "I've been in other places with oppressive governments,
but I have never been to a country where seemingly everyone
is carrying guns, including ordinary people and children.
It was disconcerting to say the least," said the Rev. Dr.
Rodney Page, Director of the NCC's Church World Service and
Witness Unit, the NCC's human development, disaster relief
and refugee assistance ministry.  CWS is one of the few non-
governmental organizations (NGOs) continuing to run projects
in Afghanistan since the U.S. bombed Afghanistan in August
1998.

 "We are only able to stay because we support partners
based in Afghanistan and our projects are run by Afghans,"
Rev. Tankersley explained.  CWS implements its own health
projects and also supports the health and education work of
the Afghan NGO Shuhada, which is headed by an Afghan woman,
Dr. Sima Samar.

 "Also, our area director Doug Bean has so far been
able to travel in and out enough to monitor the programs,"
Rev. Tankersley said.  "It would not be safe for expatriates
to remain there permanently."

 Yet at the same time Tankersley and Page witnessed much
of Afghanistan in ruins and felt a pervasive tension, they
also observed glimpses of life going on normally.

 "We went though areas with olive trees and vegetable
gardens, where people were working the fields and life
seemed to be carrying on normally," Rev. Tankersley said.
"This was surprising to me, since I only had an image of
rocky, barren hillsides."

"Despite reports from Afghanistan about the crackdown
on women's dress and restriction on their movement and
education, we found a different story in Jalalabad," said
Dr. Page.  "We saw a lot of women not dressed in head to
toe, full hijab and not wearing the burqa (veil).  As many
women were without veils as with them," Rev. Tankersley
added.

Although war and severed communications have not
allowed NCC officials to obtain up-to-date reports from
their projects in central Afghanistan, reports from June
1998 indicate that the 28 schools supported by CWS in the
Hazarajat area remain up and operating, Rev. Tankersley
said.  Of the 1998 enrollment of more than 18,000 students
in those schools, 6,200 are girls, he said.

Dr. Page and Rev. Tankersley said that the situation
for women is undoubtedly worse in Kabul, the capital city
and Taliban stronghold.  There also was evidence of enforced
separation between the sexes, such as a curtain between the
second and third seats of a VW bus in which clinic patients
traveled, hung there so that women, who must travel in the
back, could not be seen by men traveling in the front.

For both men, the most important impressions during
their visit came from viewing the CWS-supported medical
clinics they had come to visit in Nangarhar Province,
located in the eastern region of the country.  Jalalabad is
the provincial capital.

"With only rudimentary equipment, they are performing
extraordinary service in the community," Dr. Page said.
Services include medical outreach workers who go door to
door, ensuring that nearly all children in Jalalabad have
been vaccinated. Both Dr. Page and Rev. Tankersley remarked
that women were seen both working in the clinic and being
treated there.  "The staff at two basic health units in
Sorkh Rood is totally Afghan, and includes two women doctors
and six other female medical people," Rev. Tankersley said.

"The head doctor, Dr. Ashraf Sharaf, single-handedly trained
185 community health workers in 1998.  Between April and
December of 1998, these health workers made 75,741 home
visits, including to 870 pregnant women, and immunized
25,000 people," Rev. Tankersley reported.  "Women and
children make up 80 percent of the patients at the clinics."

"Health workers do not wait for people to come to the
clinic, but go to them and talk about the health of their
family," he said.  "This is based on a model program CWS
supports in Pakistan near the Afghanistan border where there
are eight units treating Afghan refugees."

 The clinics are desperately needed.  Afghanistan has
the highest rate of infant, child and maternal mortality in
Asia.  182 infants die for every 1,000 born; 257 of every
1,000 children die before they reach the age of five, and
1,700 mothers die for every 100,000 who give birth.

 "We visited two clinics, one which is housed
temporarily in a former school built during the Soviet
occupation," Dr. Page reported. "A farmer next door is
donating a piece of his land so that a permanent facility
can be constructed.  We are about to open a third clinic in
a different location."

 Dr. Page and Rev. Tankersley said they were certain
their ability to visit Afghanistan rested on the high regard
with which the medical clinics are held by people, including
government officials, in the region.  Both also stressed
that severe sanctions would only harm the good work that
has, miraculously, been able to continue.

 "Cutting off all aid will only harm the most
vulnerable, including children, as it has done in Iraq,"
said Dr. Page.  "Constructive engagement is the best way to
enact change, while still calling attention to human rights
abuses."

 "In the midst of the horror of the situation in
Afghanistan, significant things are being done to enhance
the quality of peoples' lives," said Rev. Tankersley.  "This
is not to downplay the oppressiveness of the Taliban, but to
be committed to serving the needs of people who are
suffering, especially women and children.  In spite of the
restrictions that warfare, lack of security and the Taliban
place on humanitarian work, we can still do something."

 "Afghanistan is one of the places our impact is most
significant, because there are so very few NGOs there," Rev.
Tankersley said.

 Meanwhile, Rev. Tankersley and Dr. Page pray that the
war will end, as do the Afghan people they met.  "As a young
Afghan doctor at UNICEF told our delegation, `It is time to
stop this stupid war.'  The human costs have been tragic,"
Rev. Tankersley said.

"We need peace to rebuild our lives," said an Afghan
acting in charge of the UNHCR Sub-Office in Jalalabad to the
CWS delegation.

-end-

 -0-