From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Bishops Adopt Resolutions on "Called to Common Mission"

From NEWS <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 17 Mar 1999 15:54:35

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 17, 1999

ELCA BISHOPS ADOPT RESOLUTIONS ON "CALLED TO COMMON MISSION"
99-10-061-JB

     TUCSON, Ariz. (ELCA)   In response to concerns about a full
communion proposal between the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA) and the Episcopal Church, ELCA bishops meeting here March 5-9
adopted two resolutions, including one that defines  the office of
bishop and a second that specifies their understanding of the proposal
itself.
     The bishops tabled a proposed resolution stating their "intention
to vote for" the proposal and "urge the ELCA's 1999 Churchwide Assembly
to cast a strong, positive vote in favor of its adoption."  During a
discussion on the proposed resolution, the Rev. Richard J. Foss bishop
of the ELCA's Eastern North Dakota Synod, said it might anger those who
oppose full communion and decrease chances of approving the agreement.
     The full communion proposal, "Called to Common Mission" (CCM), was
discussed at the ELCA Conference of Bishops' spring meeting.  The
bishops represent the 65 synods of the 5.2 million member ELCA.
Assembly voting members will consider the complete CCM proposal in
Denver, Aug. 16-22.
     Lutheran-Episcopal dialogues that began in 1983 developed a
process for full communion between the two churches, "The Concordat of
Agreement," and issued it in 1991.  A convention of the Episcopal Church
approved the Concordat in 1997.  That same year, the ELCA assembly
defeated the proposal by six votes and asked that the Concordat be
revised, taking the assembly's debate into account.  The revision is
CCM.
     CCM opens the door for the ELCA and the Episcopal Church to share
a variety cooperative ministries, including exchange of clergy in
congregations.
     The ELCA and the Episcopalians agree on the doctrine of "apostolic
succession" an ongoing faithful proclamation of Christ; Episcopalians
bring to the relationship the "historic episcopate," a succession of
bishops as a sign of unity back to the earliest days of the Christian
Church.
     Already, CCM has generated some opposition in the ELCA, much of it
focused on the historic episcopate.  Concerns have been raised about the
role of bishops and Lutheran identity in a full communion agreement with
the Episcopal Church.  Some people opposed to CCM met in February in
Mahtomedi, Minn. and another meeting is planned there in May.
     To address the concern about the role of bishops, the Conference
adopted a three-page document, "The Office of Ministry of the Bishop in
the ELCA: A Shared Vision of Episcopacy and a Relational Agreement."  It
includes a description of the bishop's role in ministry, in the life of
the church, its nature, purpose and organization and its role within a
culture of diversity of change.
     "We view these understandings to be normative of our life and work
together as bishops," the document said. "They represent our collegial
intentions.  They presume that neither ecumenical agreements, nor the
participation of this church in conciliar movements or organizations
with churches that hold differing views of episcopacy, alter these
understandings in any essential way."
     The Rev. E. Roy Riley, Jr., bishop of the ELCA's New Jersey Synod,
proposed the resolution.  He said the discussion of the full communion
proposal "has begun to sink below acceptable levels of decorum."  Riley
said he was "tired" of fighting over the historic episcopate.  Clearly
defining the bishop's office should "move the conversation" from the
historic episcopate to the reality of the office of bishop and what it
will be in the future, he said.
     "If we would get comfortable with that, then I think we can be
comfortable with ecumenical full communion with the Presbyterians, with
Moravians, with Episcopalians and whoever else," Riley said.
     In 1997 the ELCA approved full communion with three Reformed
churches; a proposal for full communion with Moravians will be
considered at the 1999 churchwide assemble.
     The conference also adopted a separate resolution that affirms
certain understandings about CCM submitted by the Rev. Curtis H. Miller,
bishop of the ELCA's Western Iowa Synod.  Miller was the resolution's
primary author and it was reviewed by the synod's Assembly Business and
Counsel committee.  Parts of the resolution said:
       there is "no requirement" the ELCA must eventually adopt the
three-fold order of ministry;
      there is no requirement that ELCA bishops be elected to serve for
life;
      there is "no defined role" for the presiding bishop or synodical
bishops once their terms are completed;
      ordination of pastors will continue to be held at synodical
worship services and in congregations;
      the ELCA will continue to receive ordained pastors from other
traditions on its roster without re-ordination, "some of whom will not
have been ordained by a bishop in the historic episcopate;"
      "the Episcopal Church accepts fully, and without reservation,
present Lutheran pastors and bishops who are not in the historic
episcopate;"
      the "ELCA receives the historic episcopate as a sign of and
service to the continuity and unity of the church and in no way as a
guarantee of the faithful transmission of the faith;" and
      future ELCA decisions "will be made in consultation with churches
with whom we have declared full communion," but the decisions don't
require their concurrence or approval.
     "For those who support CCM, the resolution helps clear the air,
helps clarify that many of the criticisms around the edges of the
conversation are not always true and characteristic of the document,"
Miller said.  "Hopefully, it'll be a device that will lay some of those
arguments aside."
     "For those concerned about CCM ... the intent here is to provide
some historical basis they could refer to in the future."  The
resolution may be adapted for use at synod assemblies prior to the
Churchwide Assembly this summer, he said.
     The tabled resolution was proposed by the Rev. Paull E. Spring,
bishop of the ELCA's Northwestern Pennsylvania Synod.  It noted how CCM
was different from the Concordat and recognized that not everyone in the
ELCA favored CCM.
     Adoption of the two proposals and the decision to table the other
were part of a wide-ranging discussion.
     "As I listen to the church, I don't think it (CCM) will pass,"
said Foss.  Foss opposes CCM "because I think it's the wrong way to do
mission," but he said the resolution Miller submitted may help the
churchwide assembly adopt CCM.
     "It's a commentary," Foss said. "It doesn't lay out what CCM says
or what it doesn't say.  But it does lay out how we understand the first
string of implications of what it means."
     "For many Lutherans, it (CCM) is seen as a compromising of what we
are as a church," said the Rev. Peter Rogness, bishop of the ELCA's
Greater Milwaukee Synod, as he discussed concerns he's heard about CCM.
     The changes from the Concordat incorporated into CCM were
"appreciated," Rogness said, but for many the changes appear
insufficient.
     The Rev. H. George Anderson, presiding bishop of the ELCA, had a
different view.
     "Some people sincerely believe this means a loss in our identity,"
he said. "I would say
it's more a way for us to express our identity."  The historic
episcopate offers the ELCA a way to relate to other Lutherans around the
world, he said.
     "Beyond Lutherans, as Christians, this would give us an
opportunity to identify what Jesus speaks about in John 17," Anderson
said. "A full communion relationship says more about John 17 than a
hundred resolutions about how nice we think the Episcopal Church is."
     John 17 contains Jesus' prayer that those who believe in him "may
all be one."
     The two documents are helpful, said the Rev. Mark S. Hanson,
bishop of the ELCA's Saint Paul (Minn.) Area Synod.  Hanson called for
the "validation of divergent views," suggesting that all voices in the
debate should be heard and respected.  "I can't believe the Episcopal
Church wants to enter into full communion with a church as divided as
the ELCA is now," he added.
     The Rev. Stephen P. Bouman, bishop of the ELCA's Metropolitan New
York Synod, said ELCA members are waiting for the bishops to demonstrate
leadership on CCM.
     "I am very troubled by polarization in this church," said the Rev.
Robert L. Isaksen, bishop of the ELCA's New England Synod.  He
criticized personal attacks directed at ELCA staff involved in CCM.
Isaksen also said the defeat of the Concordat in 1997 was "extremely
painful for me" and he called for members of "the church to find a way
to be supportive of one another."
     "My heart has been deeply saddened by what's happening in my
church," said the Rev. Jon S. Enslin, bishop of the ELCA's South-Central
Synod of Wisconsin, referring to the apparent division on CCM.
     A series of resources to educate members about CCM is being
distributed to congregations, said the Rev. Steven L. Ullestad, bishop
of the ELCA's Northeastern Iowa Synod.
     "I'd ask each of us to look at CCM with 'fresh eyes'," he said to
the bishops.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html