From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church responds as Amtrak crash hits home

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 18 Mar 1999 13:20:29

March 18, 1999 News media contact: Tim Tanton*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.
10-71B{146}

By Alys Drake*

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (UMNS) -- A fun-filled spring break turned tragic for Christ
United Methodist Church members aboard Amtrak's City of New Orleans train on
March 15.

Cindy Lipscomb, 44, was traveling with her three daughters and friends for a
weekend of fun at a doll show in Chicago. That evening, while Lipscomb's two
oldest daughters were having a slumber party in one of the front sleeper
cars, the City of New Orleans hit a flatbed truck crossing the tracks near
Bourbonnais, Ill., some 50 miles south of Chicago.

Missing and presumed dead are the Lipscomb daughters, Rainey, 10, and Lacey,
8. Also missing and presumed dead are family friends June Bonnin and her
granddaughter, Jessica Tickle, 12. The train crash killed 11 people and
injured more than 100.

Mrs. Bonnin's daughter, Ashley Bonnin, 8, crawled from the wreckage seeking
help for her mother and Jessica just as the rail car the family was
traveling in was engulfed in flames. Ashley's  foot was amputated during the
crash.

Cindy Lipscomb and her mother, Sudie Davis, 72, were with youngest daughter,
Jesse Anne, 5, in a sleeper car near the back of the train. They were
treated and released from an area hospital.

As word of the tragedy spread to the members of Christ Church, prayer chains
were activated. Church staff worked to supply the congregation with accurate
information regarding the family.

The Rev. James Loftin, missions minister, flew to be with Mat and Cindy
Lipscomb as they awaited word regarding the fate of their two oldest
daughters.

He found that while he thought he was going to minister to them, he was the
one being ministered to.

"I've never known a couple more intentional in their faith witness than the
Lipscombs; in the way they give money, nurture their children, or celebrate
holidays," Loftin said. "They have been a great witness to the world."

The Lipscombs have been extremely active members of the Christ Church family
since joining in the mid-'80s, serving on the Missions Board, Women's Bible
Studies and Children's Ministry. They are also active in the Memphis Emmaus
Community.

The day after the crash, Christ Church's senior minister, the Rev. Bill
Bouknight, comforted the
staff during the hours of waiting for news.

"Once again we are reminded that we Christians are not promised safe passage
as we travel through this dangerous world," Bouknight said. "But our Lord
has promised to be with us and that His grace would be sufficient."

# # #

*Drake is director of communications for Christ United Methodist Church in
Memphis, Tenn.

United Methodist News Service
http://www.umc.org/umns/
newsdesk@umcom.umc.org