From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal Church leader responds to sexuality issue

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 19 Mar 1999 10:17:42

99-019
Griswold responds to international church leaders on sexuality
issue

by James Solheim
(ENS) Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold responded March 10
to an open letter from six active primates, a retired primate and
an archbishop which challenged what they perceived as a trend by
some bishops in the Episcopal Church to ignore resolutions on
sexuality passed at last summer's Lambeth Conference.

The church leaders said in their February 26 letter that they were
obliged to point out that "the continuance of action at variance with
the Lambeth resolutions, within your own or any other province,
would be a grievous wrong and a matter over which we could not
be indifferent." It asked the presiding bishop to "examine the
directions
apparently proposed by some in your province and take whatever
steps may be necessary to uphold the moral teaching and Christian
faith the Anglican Communion has received."

The church leaders said that "each province is accountable
to the whole Communion. True Christian freedom lies within the
compass of truth and love and not in the satisfaction of mere
autonomous desire."

The letter was signed by David Gitari of Kenya, Richard
Goodhew of Sydney, Emmanuel Kolini of Rwanda, Ghais Malik of
Jerusalem and the Middle East, Donald Mtetemela of Tanzania,
Maurice Sinclair of the Southern Cone of America, Moses Tay of
Southeast Asia, joined by Colin Bazley, retired primate of the
Southern Cone. Griswold, joined by nine bishops who form his
Council of Advice, wrote to the primates, "The bonds of communion
which we enjoy with other provinces are precious to us, and the
mutual sharing of the gifts between us is both a privilege and a
blessing."

The letter emphasized the "divergent opinions on the question
of homosexuality" in many provinces of the Anglican Communion.
It quoted from the four understandings that emerged from the Lambeth
Conference report on human sexuality, ranging from those who believe
homosexual orientation is "a disorder" that might be changed to "those
who believe that the church should accept and support or bless
monogamous
covenant relationships between homosexual people and that they may be
ordained."

Griswold said that the Episcopal Church is in a process of
discernment, "testing the spirits," and he quoted from a letter
of Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey to another primate. In
the letter Carey pointed out that the issue was discussed at
Lambeth for "the very first time" and the resolution stating that
homosexual activity is contrary to Scripture  "indicates where
bishops stand now on the issue; it does not indicate that we shall
ever rest there."

Carey said in the letter that the debate at Lambeth "showed
me more powerfully than I had ever seen before that argument and
controversy solves nothing." He called for a new kind of
conversation," one that begins with respect for the integrity of
another and a willingness to study the scriptures together, to
reflect on our experience-including the experience of
homosexuals-and to share in a process" of moral discourse.

Griswold ended the letter by inviting the church leaders
"to visit those parts of our church which cause you concern so
that you may inquire and learn directly what has animated certain
you the opportunity not only to query some of our bishops and
representatives of their dioceses but also to listen to the
experience of homosexual persons, which is mandated by the Lambeth
resolution on human sexuality."

Bishops from the Council of Advice who signed the letter
are: J. Clark Grew II of Ohio; Robert H. Johnson of Western North
Carolina; James Krotz of Nebraska; Julio Holuguin of the Dominican
Republic; Jack McKelvey of Newark; Robert Rowley, Jr. of
Northwestern Pennsylvania; Richard Shimpfky of El Camino Real;
William Smalley of Kansas; and Douglas Theuner of New Hampshire.

--James Solheim is director of the Episcopal Church's Office of
News and Information.