From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Anglican Observer at the United Nations resigns

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 19 Mar 1999 10:42:23

99-022
Ottley resigns as Anglican Observer at the United Nations

by Marianne Meed Ward
(Anglican Journal) Following a "deterioration" in support
from Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey, Bishop Jim Ottley,
outspoken Anglican Observer at the United Nations, has agreed to
step aside to make way for "restructuring," effective March 31.

"My contract is up and the archbishop and I came to the
conclusion that it was wise not to renew  it," said Ottley in an
interview from his New York office. A five-member interim
transition team, headed by retired bishop Paul Moore, Jr. of New
York, will oversee the office of the observer until a permanent
replacement for Ottley is named.

The observer is jointly appointed to a three-year renewable
contract by the archbishop and the Anglican Consultative Council,
comprised of representatives of all the provinces of the Anglican
Communion. The observer works with a 20-member international
advisory committee which meets four times a year.

Whose issues
In the telephone interview, Ottley said he had heard prior
to the Lambeth Conference last summer that Carey was not entirely
happy with some of his work but during a discussion with the
archbishop at Lambeth Palace in London Carey affirmed support for
him. However, in a subsequent letter to Ottley, Carey raised the
possibility of Ottley's retirement, hinting that sooner might be
better. Sources suggest that, in the meantime, some members of the
advisory committee complained to Carey about how the office was
administered.

The final straw was a confidential letter to the advisory
committee from Carey in November that raised the matter of
"restructuring" the office. It was news to Ottley and it clearly
presupposed his resignation, he said, but did not spell out what
was meant by restructuring. "I am accepting the decision," Ottley
said. "I don't think I have a choice."

Ottley, the second person to hold the position since it was
established almost eight years ago, has worked at the United
Nations since October 1994. During his tenure he has spoken out on
such issues as the international debt crisis, use of landmines,
ecology, globalization, interfaith dialogue, poverty, human rights
abuses and the rights of women and children.

"Coming from Panama and the Third World, those are the
issues that are constantly with us, and someone from that part of
the world is going to talk about them," said Ottley. "I've put a
lot of emphasis on world debt and that got the attention of the
archbishop and the Lambeth Conference."

According to Ottley, Carey never directly expressed concern
about the issues he raised or what he said about them but "those
close to him had given me that impression." Ottley assumed that
"we were saying what the rest of the Communion wanted us to say."

Fundraising always a problem
According to Canon Frederick Williams, rector of the Church
of the Intercession in New York and the longest serving member of
the advisory committee, the letter from Carey asked for a review
of the lines of accountability, fundraising, goals and priorities
of the office of the observer. The archbishop declined to renew
Ottley's contract for another three years while the review was
ongoing.

The office was initially established with a three-year grant
from Trinity Church Wall Street in New York. When that expired,
the advisory committee was given the task of raising the
approximately $300,000 annually needed to run the office.

"Funding has always been iffy," said Williams. "After
Bishop Ottley arrived, he discovered there was a lot more
fundraising in the job than he thought and had been led to believe
was his job. Fundraising is not Ottley's strength or his
interest."

Ottley was also subjected to "infighting" between the
archbishop and the ACC over who controlled the observer according
to some observers. Because the position was a joint appointment,
it was never clear to whom the observer reported, said Williams.

"There were some internal politics between the ACC and the
archbishop, namely `Does the observer operate as an ambassador at
the United Nations or is he a staff to other organizations and
reports to them?' The question was, `Who hires, fires and controls
(the observer)?'" said Williams. "After a point, that debate
becomes tiresome. The observer just wants to do his job."

A prophetic role?
In a report to the advisory committee March 15, Ottley made
several recommendations for improving the office of the observer
and clarifying its role.

"One approach views the office as an advocate on the issues
of poverty, justice and inequality. It views the office as
assuming a prophetic and pro-active role in these areas. The
second demands that the office not assume a prophetic role in
these areas," wrote Ottley. The non-prophetic model, he said,
leaves the office merely a "ceremonial function."

Ottley clearly favors the prophetic model, but added in his
report that the prophetic ministry of the church "should not be
guided by the foreign policy of any country where our churches are
located; nor should it ever serve the particular interest of any
foreign service. Prophetic ministry should not be confused with
programs on the social issues of the United Nations. "I never saw
this office as a program office but as one that lifted up issues
that affected our lives in the world in which we live," wrote
Ottley.

He recommended that the office remain in New York, that it
be staffed by someone from a developing country, that the contract
be for a renewable three-year term, and that human rights "always
be a part of the concerns of this office."

Ottley will provide a report to the ACC in September and
will be available for advice and consultation until then.

--Marianne Meed Ward is a freelance writer living in Toronto. This
article first appeared in the April issue of the Anglican Journal,
the national newspaper of the Anglican Church of Canada.