From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal Media Center held forum on media and religion

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 19 Mar 1999 11:51:06

99-026
Media and Religion need healthy relationship, says journalist

by Nan Ross
(ENS) Even though commercial television has several
successful programs with spiritual themes, TV journalist and host
of PBS's In the Prime Deborah Potter believes religion and media
have a long way to go before their relationship is an effective
and healthy one.

Addressing a recent gathering hosted by The Episcopal Media
Center at the Washington National Cathedral, Potter said, "The
church needs to see the media not as something like a trucking
company, useful when you want to deliver a message but that
otherwise has nothing to do with you. The church has to recognize
the media as a culture, a shared experience - and an
extraordinary opportunity."

Potter, executive director of NewsLab, a nonprofit
television news laboratory affiliated with the Project for
Excellence in Journalism, said religion and media could be "the
ultimate power couple."

"Lately we've tended to think of religion and media as
separate forces that only sometimes intersect, when one of them
uses the other."

As a potential power couple, religion and media have
displayed a mostly dysfunctional relationship, Potter said.
"Think about it. There's no mutual respect. There's no
commitment. There's no equality. If I were an editor at a women's
magazine, I might think I'd found the perfect focus for next
month's regular feature: `Can This Marriage Be Saved?'"

On average, Potter said, children spend more time watching
television than they do on any other activity except sleep - more
time watching television than they spend in school. "And what are
they getting from all that television watching? Religious
instruction? Spiritual development? I don't think so.

"The media don't just out-influence religion," she said.
"In some ways they have replaced religion.  Consider how we
define ourselves and how we relate to each other. What topics
dominate casual conversation? What we rented at Blockbusters
Saturday night, or what we heard in Sunday's sermon?"

Moral and ethical themes
Potter said many in her baby boom generation strayed from
the church as they "did their own thing." "But many of them are
now seeking what's been missing in their lives. They have children
to raise, in a confusing world. They are facing their own
mortality. It's not just that their parents are aging. They
themselves are getting the signal. It comes in the mail: A blue
and white card that says, `Welcome New Member' from the AARP.

"Imagine for a moment that you could get a message to this
generation, and to their children. That you could reach them and
their children where they are (in the blue glow of their
television sets or computer screens). That instead of being
isolated and in danger of becoming irrelevant, the ministry could
once again become central in people's lives."

Potter said religious programming is not the answer.

Television marketing studies make it quite clear that most people
do not want to watch religious programs on TV. In fact, they avoid
them. "The audience for the so-called `electronic church'
programs are minuscule. Have you watched any? I rest my case."
But that doesn't mean there's no appetite for programs with
moral and ethical themes. Quite the contrary, Potter said. "It's
possibly the most popular single theme on prime-time television,
with religious depictions in prime time having quadrupled in the
past five years."      She cited Touched by an Angel - two
angels bring hope to people touched by tragedy; Seventh Heaven -
a minister-father of five children faces the challenges of raising
children during permissive times; Charmed - good witches fight
evil; and one of the latest, Brimstone - bad dead people escape
from Hell and only one man can save us.

"No, these aren't (so-called) `religious programs.'
Brimstone's hero is NOT Jesus Christ. He's a dead ex-cop. But you
can't miss the overall theme here. On the radio, you might be able
to avoid the religious talk and music programs, but last year you
couldn't avoid Joan Osborne's song, What If God Were One of Us?
So what does the church need to do to take advantage?

"First," Potter said, "there needs to be a recognition that the church
lives and works in the real world, a world where new technologies
offer more and more choices every day."

--Nan Ross is marketing director and editor of The Link for The
Episcopal Media Center in Atlanta.