From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Archbishop Desmond Tutu spoke to crowd of 800 in RI

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 19 Mar 1999 12:17:15

99-028
Tutu tells Rhode Island congregation, `For God, you are
indispensable'

by Jan Nunley and Susan Erdey
(ENS) By turns teasing, challenging, and delighting them,
South Africa's Anglican Archbishop Desmond Tutu charmed and moved
a crowd of nearly 800 at a service of Evening Prayer held at the
Cathedral of St. John in Providence, Rhode Island, on Saturday,
February 20.

The ebullient archbishop, winner of the 1984 Nobel Peace
Prize and chair of the South African Truth and Reconciliation
Commission, was in Providence to kick off a two-year-long series
of speakers and preachers called Voices of Vision, sponsored by
the Episcopal Diocese of Rhode Island. The next day, Tutu was the
keynote speaker at a week-long public affairs conference at Brown
University, "One Nation Under God? Spirituality in America."

To give the celebration an African flavor, a drumming group
pounded out rhythms as candles on the altar and surrounding the
nave were lit. As the rhythms accelerated, the staid New
Englanders in the congregation began bobbing and swaying in spite
of themselves; the sanctuary lights came up, and the organ burst
into the strains of "Ye holy angels bright" as the last candles
were lit. A 108-voice children's choir, featuring children from 17

Episcopal congregations in the diocese, performed at the service;
their procession into the sanctuary seemed endless, with children
of all shapes, sizes, and colors wearing a rainbow of choir robes
marching two-by-two up the long aisle. Music for the prelude to
the service was performed by Grace Church, Providence's choir of
men and boys.

God depends on you and believes in you
Tutu began with greetings from "the new, free, democratic,
non-racial, non-sexist South Africa" which represents "an
extraordinary victory over the awfulness of injustice and
oppression, but a victory that would have been quite impossible
without the love and the prayers and the support of such as
yourselves."

Using the Gospel stories of the feeding of the multitudes as
examples of how God works through human agency, Tutu said, "That
is how God has always been working: waiting for our fish and our
bread. That God is in fact unable. Isn't it incredible? The
omnipotent One becomes the impotent One. The powerful, the all-
powerful becomes utterly powerless.

"When there is injustice and oppression, God doesn't do
what I would have thought was the best solution. Just send
lightning bolts and dispatch all of these awful people! Oh, but
that's not how God operates. God says, I am going to wait for your
bread, for your fish, so that I can accomplish the work-this
miraculous work-of bringing about justice, about bringing about
goodness in the world."

Working through ordinary people like Moses and Mary, Tutu
said, God can accomplish extraordinary things. Tutu drew laughter
from the congregation as he reconstructed the exchange between the
Angel Gabriel and Mary:
Knock, knock.
Come in.
Hello, Mary
Hello.
I'm Gabriel, the archangel.
Mm-hmm.
God says, will you be the mother of his Son?
And she says, Whhh-what? You know in this village, you can't
scratch yourself without them knowing that you've done so, and
you're asking me to be what? An unmarried mother? No, no, no, no,
no. I'm a decent girl. Try next door.

"We would have been in a real pickle," Tutu observed.
"Mercifully for us, she said, `Behold, the handmaiden of the
Lord.' And God was able to accomplish a splendid work. The
Incarnation could happen. Jesus could be born, and our salvation
be set under way.

"For God you are someone who is indispensable. There isn't
anyone quite like you. There isn't anyone who can serve God quite
like you. There isn't anyone who can replace you. And God depends
on you. There's a story that we were told at one of the Lambeth
Conferences a number of years ago," Tutu continued, "of a Russian
priest who was not very sophisticated, and a young, brash
physicist rushed up to him and said, having totted up all the
normal arguments for atheism, this guy then says, `And therefore,
I don't believe in God!' And the little priest said, `It doesn't
matter. God believes in you.' "God believes in you," Tutu
finished quietly. "God believes in you."

Marching in the light of God
The service closed with children, waving streamers and
noisemakers made at a "Celebration of the South African Church"
held earlier in the day at Emmanuel Church, Cumberland-escorting
Tutu in procession to the singing of "Siyahamba," or "We are
marching in the light of God." An overflow crowd watched the
service on a large-screen video monitor placed downstairs in the
Cathedral's Synod Hall. Following the service, the downstairs
audience was the first to be able to greet Tutu.

For over an hour, the archbishop shook every available hand,
posed for pictures, gave each child in the receiving line "high-
fives," signed copies of his books, and greeted both friends and
strangers with his characteristic warmth. The cathedral
congregation (and the state of Rhode Island) includes a
significant Liberian population, and these parishioners took
particular joy in greeting and posing for family pictures with
Tutu.

--The Rev. Jan Nunley is director of communications for the
Episcopal Diocese of Rhode Island, and rector of St. Peter's and
St. Andrew's in Providence. Susan Erdey is a writer and editor at
Brown University in Providence.