From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal News Service briefs

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 19 Mar 1999 12:17:20

99-029
NCC welcomes arrest; continues to rebuild burned churches
(NCC) Joan B. Campbell, general secretary of the National
Council of Churches (NCC), commended the National Church Arson
Task Force for its role in the arrest of an Indiana man who
admitted to setting 30 to 50 church fires in Indiana and other
states over the past five years.
Jay Scott Ballinger, of Yorktown, Indiana, was charged with
arson attacks on seven churches in Indiana. He was arrested after
people became suspicious when he asked for treatment for burns at
an Indiana hospital.
Also charged was Angela Wood, of Georgia and Donald Puckett,
of Indiana. Wood and Puckett allegedly assisted Ballinger with one
of the Indiana fires.
"These arrests mark the latest achievement of The National
Church Arson Task Force, established in mid-1996 as a direct
result of the National Council of Churches' work," said Campbell.
"The task force, a joint program of the U.S. Justice and Treasury
departments, is working with state governments, especially where
there are clusters of arsons, and has put the issue squarely in
front of state fire marshals."
In 1996 the NCC called national attention to an epidemic of
arson attacks on churches (at the time mostly African-American
congregations across the South) and has led the way in rebuilding
churches burned for reasons of racial and/or religious hatred,
promoting arson prevention measures and winning tougher penalties
for persons convicted of burning houses of worship.
To date, more than 300 burned churches in 33 states have
been contacted and their circumstances and needs carefully
assessed. Of the 149 funded congregations, 70 have been completely
rebuilt church buildings. Eight congregations bought new church
homes with NCC grants and 11 refinanced their church debt.
There are now 39 under construction, 18 in the planning
phase and 42 still being assessed. Of the other churches, two
declined assistance and the remaining 76 either did not need the
NCC's assistance or did not qualify for it.
Grants awarded went directly to churches and their
congregations. Additional contributions were made in the form of
volunteer labor and project management services and donations
including lumber, construction modules, pews, altar furnishings,
Bibles, hymnals and choir robes.

Former recipients of United Thank Offering grants sought
(ENS) The United Thank Offering (UTO) is looking for women
who received scholarship grants for education between 1970 and
1979.
Those who received monies are asked to contact Willeen Smith
at 1-800-334-7626 or wsmith@dfms.org or fax 212-983-6377. When
responding please include your address,
e-mail and telephone number and also indicate when you received
the grant and whether you received it under a different name.
UTO hopes to find out how these grants helped in the process
of education and ministry.

NCC church educators conference
(ENS) "Faith Odyssey," an ecumenical church educators
conference held in Chicago February 2-6, drew 2,000 participants
and offered a dizzying choice of experiences. According to its
planners, the event ended up mirroring the culture that it sought
both to critique and to accommodate.
"Our technological context influences our theology," said
the Rev. Joe Leonard, director of Ministries in Christian
Education for the National Council of Churches, a conference co-
sponsor along with five church educators' organizations and 12
Protestant denominations.
Throughout the conference, two themes kept surfacing: the
profound influence of new technologies on the task of church
education and the profound importance of stories. Many speakers
and workshop leaders explored the tensions and possible
intersections between the two.
"The challenge in this `post-modern world' is both the
recovery of our memory and to create our memory," said Dr.
Elizabeth Caldwell, a professor at Chicago's McCormick Theological
Seminary, a plenary leader. "Our task as educators is to keep
telling tales, to keep weaving our stories into the fabric of `The
Great Story'."
The need to tell personal, collective and Bible stories in
creative, "multisensory" ways was echoed again and again.
"Mainline churches do not touch the sensual capacity" of people
the way popular music and other media do," explained the Rev. Tex
Sample, a United Methodist minister who teaches at the Saint Paul
School of Theology in Kansas City. He encouraged church educators
to learn from the electronic culture and to employ a wider range
of ways to reach young people.
If there is one thing the conference made clear, however,
it's that technology cannot replace the power and value of
stories. "If the story isn't powerful, it doesn't matter what
method you use to tell it," Leonard said. "Fortunately, our faith
traditions have the stories. We just need to pour some of our old
wine into new vessels."

Japan ordains women priests
(ENS) A number of women in the Nippon Sei Ko Kai, the
Anglican Church of Japan, have recently been ordained as priests,
marking a breakthrough in the long history of the male-dominated
Anglican denomination that has long stipulated that priests must
be men at least 24 years old.
The movement for the ordination of women started in the
United States and Europe during the 1970s. Protesting that there
were no grounds in religious teachings for the exclusion of women
(from the priesthood), female priests were ordained one after
another in a number of countries.
About 10 years ago, calls came from within the Japanese
branch of the church for women to be ordained as priests. Support
for the ordination of women in Japan grew gradually, with
associations being formed to pursue this goal.
At a general synod of the church in May 1998, a majority
approved a motion to allow women priests.
Following the ordination of the first female priest in
Nagoya in December, ceremonies were held in Tokyo to ordain two
more women in early January. Although women pastors have already
been ordained in the Protestant Church the Catholic Church has
long resisted allowing women to become priests, who perform
baptisms and communion services.
Nevertheless, female priests may not be ordained in all
regions of the country. Isamu Okiishi, general manager of the
Tokyo office of the church said, "As different branches of the
church interpret our (religious) teachings differently, we have
decided to respect the opinions of those opposed (to the
ordination of women)."

Two Episcopal churches share $1 million bequest
(ENS) An unexpected legacy from Mary Brigham, a Georgia
investor, has resulted in two Alabama Episcopal churches sharing a
$1 million bequest.
On March 7, St. Mark's Church for the Deaf, in Mobile and
St. John's Church for the Deaf, in Birmingham, celebrated
Brigham's gift of $525,000 each with a sign language service with
"voice over" of scriptures and hymns. The Rev. Camille Desmarais,
rector of St. Mark's was the preacher and the Rev. Jay L. Croft,
rector of St. John's, was celebrant.
Brigham was a life-long friend of the Rev. Dr. Robert C.
Fletcher and his wife Estelle. Fletcher, who began his ministry
among deaf people in the 1930's, established both congregations as
well as others in the Southeast.
Her interest in this specialized ministry arose from her and
her mother's friendship with the Fletcher family since 1945. In
the early years the Brighams lived frugally in a boarding house
with Estelle, before she married Fletcher. The Brighams were not
deaf, but Estelle was. Over the years, the two families kept in
contact. Mary Brigham eventually lost her eyesight. She died in
the summer of 1998 and named the two churches in her will.
Both congregations will invest the bulk of this legacy, as
an endowment.

Archbishop Carey urges `righteous' anger on international poverty
(ACC) Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey has urged all
people to step up the momentum for international debt relief by
summoning a sense of "righteous anger" on behalf of the world's
poorest citizens.
In a major address on poverty and international development,
Carey said that more than a billion people are currently living on
the equivalent of less than $1 a day. "This is totally
unacceptable given the resources at mankind's collective
disposal."
Carey called on the world's richest countries, including
Britain, to take a substantial leap forward at the G7 summit
meeting of the world's most developed nations in Germany in June.
He urged leaders at their meeting in Cologne to "show the moral
courage to at least make a start" on waiving the unpayable debt
of poor nations.

Catholic Church bans millennium celebrations
(ESA) Millions of people are being urged to resist
celebrating the millennium. The Roman Catholic Church wants its
members to distance themselves from what it calls a "secular and
hedonistic jamboree."
Instead the faithful are being urged to turn their attention
to the "Great Jubilee of the 2000th anniversary of Christ's
birth" on December 25. They have been told by Cardinal Basil
Hume, leader of the Catholic Church in England and Wales, that New
Year's Eve is "of no religious significance." Congregations
should begin their run-up to the big day on March 25, exactly nine
months in advance, with prayer.
The church's misgivings about the national celebrations are
expressed in a pamphlet for priests circulating in Hume's
Westminster diocese. But it also warns, "It would be unbearably
cruel to hold out hope of a reconciliation which we cannot deliver
or, by insensitive blundering, to tear open wounds that time has
healed."
The Catholic Church has lost thousands of members in recent
years, often due to its stand on divorce and re-marriage, and one
of its key aims for Jubilee year is to welcome back those who have
left.

Signs of some progress in Afghanistan
(NCC) As peace negotiators in Turkmenistan announced a
possible breakthrough, two National Council of Churches (NCC)
staff members recently back from a week-long trip to Afghanistan
reported that conditions are worse than they expected but that
they also witnessed glimpses of hope.
The visit by the Rev. Larry Tankersley, head of the NCC's
Southern Asia office and the Rev. Rodney Page, director of the
NCC's Church World Service and Witness Unit, took place February
20 through 26.
"Even though I knew Afghanistan has been a war zone for 20
years, I was still surprised to see the number of hospitals and
houses which looked blown apart and to see rusty tanks left over
from the War (with the Soviet Union,)" said Tankersley. "I didn't
see any evidence that things are getting better in Afghanistan.
Although peace talks continue and we are hopeful about this latest
report, we were told that this is typical. During the winter they
talk, but during the spring and summer they start to fight
again."
Page said, "I've been in other places with oppressive
governments, but I have never been to a country where seemingly
everyone is carrying guns, including ordinary people and children.
It was disconcerting to say the least."
Yet at the same time Tankersley and Page witnessed much of
Afghanistan in ruins and felt a pervasive tension, they also
observed glimpses of life going on normally.
"We went through areas with olive trees and vegetable
gardens where people were working the fields and life seemed to be
carrying on normally," said Tankersley. "This was surprising to
me, since I only had an image of rocky, barren hillsides."
They also witnessed the dedication of medical staff.
"Health workers do not wait for people to come to the clinic, but
go to them and talk about the health of their family." Tankersley
continued, "This is based on a model program CWS supports in
Pakistan near the Afghanistan border where there are eight units
treating Afghan refugees."
Tankersley summarized Afghanistan as a place in the "midst
of horror" but significant things are being done to enhance the
quality of peoples' lives.

People
The Rev. Daniel Caballero has been named interim officer for
Hispanic Ministries. He joined the Hispanic Ministries staff on
March 1, after serving as priest-in-charge of the Episcopal City
Mission of Madison, Wisconsin, and Mission San Miguel, also in
Madison in the Diocese of Milwaukee.

Ward B. Stevenson, senior vice president and general counsel
to the Church Pension Group, died peacefully in his sleep on
March 3.
Stevenson's career spanned more than 30 years. He spent the
greater part of that career with the law firm of Rogers and Wells,
where he was a partner in the New York office and a managing
partner in the London offices.
Stevenson had said he came to the Church Pension Group "for
a fresh challenge and an opportunity to give back on a more human
level some of what I have been fortunate enough to receive."
Contributions in his memory may be made to the Fund for
Animals, Suite 705, 200 W. 57th Street, New York, New York, 10019.

Lynne Grifo joined the Church Center staff on March 15 as
associate coordinator for the Office of Ministry Development.
Grifo was interim rector of All Hallows, Wyncote, Pennsylvania,
and associate rector of St. Asaph's, Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania.
She also served on the Bishop's Mission Strategy Commission in
Pennsylvania and on the Diocesan Screening Committee on
Ministerial Vocations in Connecticut.