From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"Zaccheus Project" to study Episcopalians and their church

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 19 Mar 1999 12:29:14

99-031
"Zaccheus Project" to study Episcopalians and their church

by Lindsay Hardin Freeman
(ENS) A major research study, now under way in nine dioceses
involving 200 individual and group interviews, will soon shed
light on what it means to be an Episcopalian in today's society.
The study, which is funded by the Episcopal Church Foundation
and administered by Cornerstone, has been named "The Zacchaeus
Project," after the man who, according to the Gospel of Luke,
climbed a tree to get a better view of Jesus as he was passing
below.

The project is a contribution to the Church as part of the
foundation's 50th anniversary year. William G. Andersen, Jr., the
foundation's executive director, believes that such work is
crucial as the Episcopal Church, along with other mainline
denominations, faces critical scrutiny from both secular and
religious components.

"Systematic information on what our church faces remains an
important unanswered challenge for those who would strengthen its
vital ministries," he says. "There is wide and to some degree,
bleak speculation, about the future of mainline Protestantism. It
is time for us to test those assumptions for the Episcopal
Church."

The study is addressing such questions as: How do
Episcopalians renew their sense of identity in communities of
faith? How do Americans, and particularly Episcopalians, integrate
religion into their daily lives? In what sense does belonging to a
church inspire a particular way of life? Where are the growth
areas of the Church?

In addition to qualitative data, quantitative material that
already has been regularly gathered by the church is also being
examined. This includes figures showing national patterns and
trends in membership, attendance, finances, patterns of giving and
budgetary changes.

"We anticipate that this study will be a springboard for
letting us look at the church in ways it has never been looked at
before," said Andersen. "We expect this to bring many other
questions to the surface."

The findings will be sent to every congregation in the
Episcopal Church in June and will be the focus of Trinity
Institute's 30th national conference, "Roots and Wings:
Episcopal Identity and Vocation in the New Millennium." "Roots"
speaks to the primary question of identity covered in the
Zacchaeus study, and "Wings" represents the question of
vocation-who God is calling the church to become-which will be
addressed at the September conference.

Under the supervision of William S. Craddock, Jr., director
of Cornerstone, a ministry of the foundation, the study has been
under way since June of 1998. The selected dioceses are
Massachusetts, North Carolina, Central Florida, Minnesota, West
Missouri, Kansas, Texas, Nevada and Los Angeles.

"We used many indicators to establish the final list of
dioceses," said Andersen, "including geographical, ethnic and
theological diversity, as well as age, financial factors and the
relation of urban to rural congregations."

Undertaking the research is Dr. William Sachs, rector of
St. Matthew's Parish in Wilton, Connecticut, and Dr. Thomas P.
Holland, professor and director of the Center for Social Services
Research and Development at the University of Georgia.

Discovering the extent to which religion, and particularly
the Episcopal faith, makes a difference in the lives of
participants will be a key aspect of the project. The following
questions are some of what will be explored:
* What draws people to our church and sustains their
involvement in its various ministries?
* What does it mean to be an Episcopalian? What distinctive
religious perspective does the Episcopal Church
cultivate?
* As we confront profound cultural change, how can we
embrace new spiritual forms while preserving the best of
our Episcopal traditions?
* What are the growth areas of the church? What are the
forms of ministry that are thriving and what are the
blocks to growth?

The foundation hopes that the report will inform the ongoing
conversations and planning efforts of the church and suggest
future directions for work to enable the church to thrive in the
next millennium.

"After we identify ourselves," Andersen said, "this will
help us think about our vocation and understand what God is
calling us to do."

The Episcopal Church Foundation began in 1949 under the
direction of Presiding Bishop Henry Knox Sherrill. Serving the
church in leadership development, education and religious
philanthropy, the foundation manages an endowment of some $28
million and oversees investments of almost $20 million in planned
gifts. It is led by lay men and women from throughout the church
and as an independent entity works to channel its resources
wherever they are most needed.

--Lindsay Hardin Freeman, a priest associate at St. Martin's-by-
the-Lake Episcopal Church in Minnetonka Beach, Minnesota, is the
communications consultant for the Episcopal Church Foundation.