From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal Church women help empower African women

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 19 Mar 1999 12:49:47

99-032
African women gain the resolve to stand for life

by Ed Stannard
(Episcopal Life) Women of Vision, an educational and
training program, has brought leadership and assertiveness skills
to women all over the world.

In Africa, it could mean the difference between death and
life.

Women of Vision, begun in 1987 by the national Women in
Mission and Ministry office (WIMM) and Episcopal Church Women,
seeks to empower women, to give help them discover their own gifts
and to seek a better life for themselves, their families and their
communities.

A training session is scheduled for Kenya. But it was one
held recently in Ghana, which, like much of sub-Saharan Africa,
has been devastated by AIDS, that demonstrated the possibilities
for Women of Vision and how important are its goals.

"I believe one of the most important things in Africa today
is creating awareness about AIDS," said Pauline Muchina, a Kenyan
studying at Union Theological Seminary in New York, who is a
consultant to the WIMM office. "People are afraid to talk about
these things. Talk about sex and talk about death is not something
they do."

AIDS awareness
As many as one in four sub-Saharan Africans are infected
with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. Thousands of children, many
of them infected themselves, have been orphaned by the disease.
According to Julianna Okine, wife of Archbishop Robert Okine
of the Church of West Africa, cultural expectations are partly
responsible for the disease's spread. Many men leave the home for
days at a time and practice infidelity, without protection against
sexually transmitted diseases. Their wives are expected not to ask
where they've been, to say no to sex or to demand that the
husbands use condoms.

Okine requested Women of Vision come to Ghana. "She's a
mover, this woman; she just made it happen," said Sister Hel'na
Marie, associate director of WIMM. "She's a woman who can't be
stopped."

Okine said that, as a result of Women of Vision, two
seminars were being planned on AIDS awareness and advocacy. "We
are trying to let them know we are all partners ... we are not
subordinates," she said.

Pointing out that women join men in perpetuating sexual
oppression, Okine said, "When they know their husband is
promiscuous they have to say no to sex unless they use condoms."
Too often, the response is, "`I didn't marry you to use condoms.'
That is another problem," said Okine.

However, Okine is hopeful. "We have seen signs now. It's
working - slowly, but it's working."

To Muchina, communication is key. "Education is the first
component of [Women of Vision] and then just opening it up for
discussion. In the church, [AIDS] is regarded as a stigma. The
more we talk about it in the women's groups, the more people will
be free to talk about it outside the women's groups."

Another component of the fight against AIDS is helping women
to take care of their families economically. "If we can help
women, especially younger women, to be self-reliant in economics,
then they won't go into prostitution, where they can contract
AIDS," said Muchina.

Leadership training essential
Fighting a problem in society like AIDS is like trying to
remove one wrong-colored thread woven into a blanket. The issues
involved - education, literacy, poverty, roles of men and women,
sexual habits, both homosexual and heterosexual, the availability
of condoms and the drugs that slow the virus, taboos against
speaking about sex and death - are so embedded and intertwined,
that the task quickly becomes daunting.

"It's very sad, it's very painful, and I think the church
is still in denial," said Muchina. "They are not preaching the
message of love to those who are infected and at the same time
they are not preaching prevention. A lot of parents are in denial
too."

Underlining the task, Sister Hel'na Marie said, "If women
are not educated and not trained in leadership, a lot of issues,
from population to domestic violence to AIDS, are not going to be
addressed."

Women of Vision attempts to face that gantlet of problems by
addressing the core issue of leadership training. The program
focuses on identifying gifts and developing self-worth; literacy
is not required.

"I think one of the most important things is raising
consciousness amongst women," said Muchina. "Helping them
discover their leadership skills and helping them learn to be
assertive and how to use their faith to better their living
conditions in their country."

It's really an epiphany for many, said Ann Smith, WIMM's
director. "Once they know their spiritual gifts, then they sing
about it and dance about it and [say], `God has empowered me.' Try
to stop them - they are so charged up!"

With their newly found exuberance and self-assertiveness,
women then can advocate on their own behalf for education and
training, in order to rise from poverty and oppression.

"If you want to lower the birthrate, you must increase the
educational level of women," said Smith. "Ghana is a very poor
country, so access to education is still a privilege." Free
education does not exist in Ghana; even the required uniforms are
too expensive for most.

Smith said that since the government is doing little to
improve women's position, the church must step in. "And who is
the church? The women." Women make up 80 percent of churchgoers
in Africa, said Smith.

Muchina described how delicate is the task of empowering
women: "How they can do it in a way that does not antagonize
their community but they are making a contribution to bringing
their community together.

"The crucial thing is to help women come to a point where
they themselves do not internalize their own oppression," said
Muchina. It's a real turning point "once they realize that they
are children of God and have rights."

One program, many cultures
Women of Vision has achieved many successes since its first
workshop in Guatemala in 1987. One formerly illiterate woman in
Nepal was even elected to Parliament. Smith said, "It's on-the-
job training and mentoring and it's working. We have hundreds of
women trained."

In Ghana, 35 women were certified to present the program in
pairs in villages and colleges. "They really took the material
and mastered it," said Sister Helena Marie. She said her
experience was a revelation. "Here we are being witnesses to this
wonderful ability to take the material and run with it and they
needed very little instruction. They just zapped it up."
Muchina said the ability to bring the program into different
cultures is one of its strengths. "What really challenged me ...
is that you present the material and the women take it and
contextualize it. ... You open a door for them [where] they
weren't able to make the connection before."

Smith said that, though the program is aimed at women, down
the road "the ideal thing is that there will be the same training
for men.

"The women get it first and then it should be men and women
together. Then it should be called People of Vision."

Africa will continue to be a major focus of Women of Vision.
Smith said she hopes to hold five regional training-of-trainers
sessions on the continent in 2000. The goal, she said, is "so it
will be African down the road, and we wouldn't have to come again
except to cheer them on."

--Ed Stannard is news editor of Episcopal Life, the church's
national newspaper, where this article first appeared.