From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

An open letter from primates of the Anglican Communion

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 19 Mar 1999 13:05:02

99-034
An open letter from primates of the Anglican Communion to the Most
Reverend Frank Griswold, Presiding Bishop of E.C.U.S.A

Dear Brother in Christ,

We write as Primates and Archbishops of the Anglican
Communion in the Holy, Catholic, Apostolic and Reformed Church,
having assembled last year for the Lambeth Conference at
Canterbury. We give thanks to Almighty God for granting us that
opportunity for consultation, determination and expression of our
common mind in the Anglican Communion.

At this time of decision we send to you, your fellow
bishops, and all the members of the Episcopal Church of the United
States of America our most cordial greetings. Grace to you and
peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

It is with joy that we recall how blessed our beloved Communion
is with growth in its witness to God's Word around the world. We
rejoice too in the fellowship of prayer and faith we enjoyed together
in Canterbury as a family united across the nations. We are conscious
of the issues of moral and theological importance with we have engaged,
including international debt, economic development, ecumenism and
inter-faith relations. It is our prayer that we will now go forward
mutually
strengthened in a common resolve to undertake together the great work of

evangelization and renewal in Christ to which we are called.

The study of scripture together, at Lambeth, was a special
source of inspiration to us all. In St. Paul's second letter to
the Corinthians there was much to encourage us, but also a stark
warning: "Examine yourselves, to make sure you are in the faith."
The words contain a challenge from which none of us should shrink.
It is our earnest prayer for the Church that where anything is
amiss God will reform it and where it is in error God will correct
it.

We know it is in the thoughtful and prayerful study of the
Bible and the careful application of its message that we can
sustain our common life and deepen our faithfulness. Resolution
III.1 bears witness to this. It recognises afresh the primary
authority of the Holy Scriptures and calls us "to promote at
every level biblical study programmes which can inform and nourish
the life of dioceses, congregations, seminaries, communities and
members of all ages." There is here a task that can involve us
all and can deepen our unity in mind as well as in heart.
It is our prayer and commitment that as a Communion we may
hold together "by mutual loyalty sustained by the council of
bishops in Conference." None of us can rightly ignore the
fellowship in the Spirit which the Lambeth conference represents.

Each Province is accountable to the whole Communion. True
Christian freedom lies within the compass of truth and love and
not in the satisfaction of mere autonomous desire.

It is therefore with sorrow and disappointment that we have
heard from different parts of our Communion statements at variance
with what was resolved at Lambeth. Some even appear to repudiate
resolutions before they are fully published. We realise that this
situation has affected you deeply. We know too that there are
leaders within your own Province who do not wish to follow, and in
the past have even broken, the teachings reaffirmed at Lambeth. We
think of the resolution disavowing any action against bishops who
in conscience cannot ordain women to Holy Orders. We think with
particular concern of Resolution I.10 stating that, "this
Conference, in view of the teaching of Scripture, upholds
faithfulness in marriage between a man and a woman in lifelong
union, and believes that abstinence is right for those not called
to marriage," and that our Communion "cannot advise the
legitimising or blessing of same sex unions nor ordaining of those
involved." It is our concern that we should work sensitively and
pastorally in full recognition of this resolution which affirms
the Gospel welcome, as well as the Gospel obedience and Gospel
hope. Regardless of sexual orientation, all are loved by God and
nothing can cut us off from the love of Christ. The Church must
listen to all her members but they must listen to the Church as
well. For, to echo the words of Archbishop Carey, we must listen
not only to each other, but also to Scripture. We must seek to
bring healing to every kind of brokenness with both the compassion
and the truth of our Lord.

Fidelity to Christian truth cannot be reduced to aspiration;
it entails definite and present obligations. Our particular
responsibilities oblige us to say that the continuance of action
at variance with the Lambeth resolutions, within your own or any
other province, would be a grievous wrong and a matter over which
we could not be indifferent. We therefore ask you, dear brother,
to examine the directions apparently proposed by some in your
Province and take whatever steps may be necessary to uphold the
moral teaching and Christian faith the Anglican Communion has
received. In doing this you will have the prayers and support of
us all and you will bring healing and renewal to your church.

The best hope for preserving the fullness of our unity in
one Communion is found for each of us in drawing closer to our
common Lord and Saviour and in prayer and intercession together.
We write this letter in the cause of such unity and koinonia. Our
aim is fraternal for we believe that within our family of faith
heart should speak to heart and speak the truth in love. Reticence
should not prevent us from speaking lovingly, openly and directly.

We take to heart the words quoted by his Grace the Archbishop of
Canterbury in his Pastoral Letter "Be perfect, be of good
comfort, be of one mind, live in peace, and the God of love and
peace shall be with you." May God give us light to guide us,
courage to support us and love to unite us always. AMEN

David M. Gitari, Archbishop of Kenya
Richard H. Goodhew, Archbishop of Sydney
Emmanuel M. Kolini, Archbishop of Rwanda
Ghais A. Malik, President Bishop, Jerusalem & the Middle East
Donald L. Mtetemela, Archbishop of Tanzania
Maurice W. Sinclair, Presiding Bishop of the Southern Cone
of America
Moses Tay, Archbishop of South East Asia
Colin F. Bazley, Presiding Bishop of the Southern Cone
1989-95