From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal leader responds to primates open letter

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 19 Mar 1999 13:06:59

99-035
Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold responds to the open letter from
primates of the Anglican Communion

For: Colin F. Bazley; David M. Gitari; Richard H. Goodhew;
Emmanuel M. Kolini; Ghais A. Malik; Donald L. Mtetemela; Maurice
W. Sinclair; Moses Tay

My dear brothers:

Thank you so very much for your letter of fraternal concern
regarding the reception of Lambeth resolutions on human sexuality
and the authority of the Bible in some parts of the Episcopal
Church in the United States. Joining me in this response are the
nine members of my Council of Advice, each of whom was elected by
that bishop's domestic province.

We have just concluded a meeting of our House of Bishops at
which we noted how important it is when questions arise in the
body of Christ for members of the same - and especially bishops
and primates - to deal directly with one another, lest second hand
information or biased reporting distort or misrepresent our
actions or points of view. We are therefore responding to each of
you directly, in the peace of Christ.

As bishops of the Episcopal Church and members of the
Anglican Communion, and in light of our time together at the
Lambeth Conference, we are aware that what happens in one part of
the Communion can affect other provinces because of the very
different historical and cultural contexts in which we seek to
live our lives in response to the gospel. The bonds of communion
which we enjoy with other provinces are precious to us, and the
mutual sharing of the gifts between us is both a privilege and a
blessing.

We write to emphasize to you that within the Episcopal
Church USA, as in other provinces of our Communion, there exist
divergent opinions on the question of homosexuality. The four
understandings of homosexuality articulated in the Lambeth report
on Human Sexuality, and quoted below, accurately described the
opinions held among us. There are:
* "those who believe that homosexual orientation is a disorder,
but that through the grace of Christ people can be changed,
although not without pain and struggle;"
* "those who believe that relationships between people of the
same gender should not include genital expression, that this is
the clear teaching of the Bible and of the  church universal,
and that such activity (if unrepented of) is a barrier to the
Kingdom of God;"
* "those who believe that committed homosexual relationships
fall short of the biblical norm, but are to be preferred to
relationships that are anonymous and transient;"
* "those who believe that the Church should accept and support
or bless monogamous covenant relationships between homosexual
people and that they may be ordained."
We therefore find ourselves in a process of discernment and
"testing the spirits" and are instructed by the observation and
wise words of His Grace, the Archbishop of Canterbury in a letter
addressed to one of our primates, and which I have his permission
to quote.

"First, let us remind ourselves that in reality the
discussion at Canterbury was the very first time the bishops as a
body had discussed it [homosexuality] at any length. A Resolution
was passed that indicates where bishops stand NOW on the issue; it
does not indicate that we shall ever rest there. That MAY be the
case - but who knows? "Second, the debate showed - and showed me
more powerfully than I had ever seen  before - that argument and
controversy solves nothing. "We need a new kind of `conversation'
- one that begins with respect for the integrity of another and a
willingness to study the scriptures together, to reflect on our
experience - including the experience of homosexuals - and to
share in a process which attempts to put into practice what the
writer Joseph Monti once called `The Church as a community of
moral discourse'. It is  time we got a discourse going and started
discouraging the polemic and bitterness that is around."

Therefore, in answer to your concerns, and in the interest
of fostering conversation and "moral discourse" and an even
greater relationship of affection and understanding, we invite
each of you to visit those parts of our church which cause you
concern so that you may inquire and learn directly what has
animated certain responses to the above mentioned resolutions.

Such visits will afford you the opportunity not only to query some
of our bishops and representatives of their dioceses but also to
listen to the experience of homosexual persons, which is mandated
by the  Lambeth resolution on human sexuality. I will be hoping to
hear from each of you in order that we might plan visits for you
such as I describe.

It is our fervent prayer and earnest hope that occasions of
concern become opportunities for us to  learn from one another to
our mutual enrichment, in the name of the risen Christ, and in the
power of the Spirit of Truth who alone can guide us into all
truth.

With the love of God in our hearts and the upbuilding of the
body of Christ as our hope, we invite you, in the words of Jesus
to, "Come and see."

Yours ever in Christ,
Frank T. Griswold
Presiding Bishop and Primate

J. Clark Grew II, Bishop of Ohio
Robert H. Johnson, Bishop of Western North Carolina
James E. Krotz, Bishop of Nebraska
Julio C. Holuguin, Bishop of Dominican Republic
Jack M. McKelvey, Bishop Suffragan of Newark
Robert D. Rowley, Jr., Bishop of Northwestern Pennsylvania
Richard L. Shimpfky, Bishop of El Camino Real
William Smalley, Bishop of Kansas
Douglas Theuner, Bishop of New Hampshire