From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Elca Bishop's 1999 Easter Message

From NEWS <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 24 Mar 1999 10:12:27

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 24, 1999

ELCA BISHOP'S 1999 EASTER MESSAGE
99-11-064-JB

  CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Without the resurrection, the story of Jesus of
Nazareth would never have changed the world.  Although we reckon the
turning of time from B.C. to A.D. at the birth of Jesus, the real
revolution occurred when Jesus rose from the dead. The ancient church
realized this profound difference and it began to celebrate Sunday, the
day of resurrection, as its holy day instead of Saturday.
  In fact, the resurrection of Jesus changed time forever.  Time no
longer holds humanity captive, locking us into a few decades of
existence.  Time has been pushed aside and now swings open to reveal an
eternity beyond. This is a new world we live in, full of endless promise
and hope.
  "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! By his
great mercy he has given us a new birth into a living hope through the
resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead" (I Peter 1:3).

The Rev. H. George Anderson
Presiding Bishop
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

For information contact: