From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WCC letter re Kosovo

From Sheila MESA <smm@wcc-coe.org>
Date 25 Mar 1999 08:40:04

World Council of Churches
Press Update

PASTORAL LETTER TO WCC MEMBER CHURCHES IN THE
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF YUGOSLAVIA

cf. WCC Press Release of 14 October 1998
cf. WCC Press Update of 17 March 1999

The General Secretary of the World Council of Churches (WCC), Rev. Dr
Konrad Raiser, on behalf of the WCC has expressed "profound emotion
following the NATO-led bombing of Yugoslavia." In a pastoral letter
addressed to the church leaders of the three WCC member churches in
Yugoslavia, the Serbian Orthodox Church, the Reformed Christian
Church in Yugoslavia and the Slovak Evangelical Church of the
Augsburg Confession in Yugoslavia, Raiser condemns "violence and
intimidation in any form, as only a negotiated solution can bring a durable
and just peace."

He also reassured Patriarch Pavle, Bishop Istvan Csete-Szemesi and
Bishop Jan Valent that "the WCC remains available to respond to the
requests and needs of its members, and will maintain its humanitarian
assistance to all victims of the situation, regardless of their origin."

Pastoral letter of WCC General Secretary, Rev. Dr. Konrad Raiser, to
WCC member churches in the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia:

Patriarch Pavle, Archbishop of Pec, The Serbian Orthodox Church
Bishop Istvan Csete-Szemesi, The Reformed Christian Church in
Yugoslavia
Bishop Jan Valent, The Slovak Evangelical Church of the Augsburg
Confession in Yugoslavia

"Your Holiness,

Brothers in Christ,

I am writing to you on behalf of the World Council of Churches to
express our profound emotion following the NATO-led bombing of
Yugoslavia, and to express our solidarity with you at this critical time.

The attack signals a failure to reach a negotiated agreement, and a
breakdown in human relations. War can only bring further destruction
and human suffering to a region which has already experienced so
much pain, and will open new wounds and enmities.

I have stated on previous occasions the position of WCC on the crisis,
and have condemned violence and intimidation in any form, as only a
negotiated solution can bring a durable and just peace. This conviction
was most recently reiterated in a message to the Summit of Kosovo
Religious Leaders in Vienna, 16-18 March 1999, in which the Serbian
Orthodox Church was represented, a copy of which is attached.

During this Lenten season Christians remember Christ's passion and
crucifixion. But we also together proclaim that in the midst of human
suffering and weakness comes our greatest hope, that of His
Resurrection, and the invitation to eternal life.

I would like to assure you of the thoughts and prayers of the member
churches of our fellowship, and of the staff here in Geneva, during this
critical time. The WCC remains available to respond to the requests and
needs of its members, and will maintain its humanitarian assistance to all
victims of the situation, regardless of their origin."

**********
The World Council of Churches is a fellowship of churches, now 338, in
more than 100 countries in all continents from virtually all Christian
traditions.  The Roman Catholic Church is not a member church but
works cooperatively with the WCC.  The highest governing body is the
Assembly, which meets approximately every seven years.  The WCC
was formally inaugurated in 1948 in Amsterdam, Netherlands.  Its staff is
headed by general secretary Konrad Raiser from the Evangelical Church
in Germany.

World Council of Churches
Media Relations Office
Tel:  (41.22) 791.61.52/51