From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Westminster John Knox Press Opens London Office

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 25 Mar 1999 20:09:34

99123

    Westminster John Knox Press Opens London Office

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Seeking to expand its global reach, Westminster John Knox
Press (WJK) - the crown jewel of the Presbyterian Publishing Corporation
(PPC) - has announced that it is opening a new office in London, England.

    "Good religious academic books travel," explained WJK director Richard
E. Brown. "Books that are important in the United States are important
books in the United Kingdom, and vice versa.  With this new office, we can
better facilitate that interaction and exchange of ideas."

    The London office will be headed by Philip Law, an editor with nearly
20 years of publishing experience in the United Kingdom. In recent years he
has served as publishing manager of Lion Publishing and as a publisher for
SPCK. Those firms are among the better-known religious publishing houses in
England.

    Law described the new London operation as a "win-win" situation for all
concerned. "I have long thought that there must be a better, more efficient
way of delivering world-class scholarship to a worldwide readership," he
said. "Now, with the economies of scale we can achieve by publishing
simultaneously in the U.K. and the U.S., more books can be made available
to readers at more affordable prices, and authors can receive a faster and
fairer return on their hard work and expertise."

    Davis Perkins, WJK's president and publisher, said PPC had been
considering the establishment of a London office for two years. "This can't
help but make a major, positive impact on our readers, wholesale and retail
customers and the bottom line," he said.