From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Missing Presbyterian Elder Is Found After Three Weeks

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 26 Mar 1999 20:08:12

99125

    Missing Presbyterian Elder Is Found After Three Weeks

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - A Presbyterian elder who had been missing for three weeks
has been found alive but disoriented, more than 1,000 miles away from where
he was last seen.

    Harry Swarts, 51, a longtime member of the St. Andrew Presbyterian
Church in Davenport, Iowa, was found on March 25 on a bench in a shopping
mall on the outskirts of Dallas, Texas, according to the Davenport Police
Department. He had disappeared on March 6.

    Swarts is currently hospitalized in the Dallas area, to which his wife,
Ann Calvert Swarts, and their three daughters are en route.

    "We don't know how he got there ... but it does appear that this is
strictly a medical problem," said Dennis Kern, public information officer
for the Davenport police.

    Swarts left home driving his daughter's 1991 Mazda Protege. The car -
which had been vandalized - was found outside a shopping mall in Des
Moines, Iowa, on March 13. Police said then that there was no evidence of
foul play.

    "The bottom line is: Once he was lost, but now he is found. And the
road back home looks promising," said the Rev. Jim Clark of St. Andrew,
Swarts' pastor and friend for many years. "We're all very relieved he is
not dead. And we think there are possibilities for healing that we'd not
seen.

    "For three weeks, it has been awful."

    When Swarts disappeared, church members began distributing
missing-person posters and caring for the family. Clark told the
Presbyterian News Service that Swarts is disoriented and has lost his
memories of more than a decade. When he was interviewed by paramedics in
Dallas, he was unable to recall the names of his immediate family, but he
did recall the name of his church and pastor.

    "It's interesting that the church was there," said Clark. "Everybody
[here] is practically cheering and crying. There is overwhelming relief.
Tears of joy are everywhere. ...

    "I'm calling this [March 26] my Good Friday. And it is going to be a
better Easter."