From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presbyterian Group Hears Story from Blind Survivor of A-Bomb Blast

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 29 Mar 1999 20:06:33

99127

    Presbyterian Group Hears Horror Story
    from Blind Survivor of A-Bomb Blast

    by Evan Silverstein

HIROSHIMA, Japan - In one horrifying instant, Sun-byung Sun's life changed
forever, as a bomb of unimaginable force exploded above Hiroshima, reducing
the city to a charred atomic desert.

    Sun, 70, recalled the events of Aug. 6, 1945, for a delegation from the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) gathered at the Hiroshima Korean Church.

    Through an interpreter, the survivor of the first atomic bomb described
a chaotic world cut off from civilization, where survival was difficult and
the future was uncertain - especially for Korean nationals like himself, as
Japan cast his people from its fallen empire.

    "After the bombing it was a very difficult situation," said Sun, who
was left blind and partially disabled from the effects of the bomb. "There
was great confusion to get the roads back in order. After the war, some
ethnic Koreans were able to go back to Korea, but that was difficult
because it was not home any more."

    Many Koreans had been forcibly brought to Japan to work as laborers in
the heyday of the empire. More than 20,000 Koreans were among the estimated
140,000 people who died of the acute effects of the bomb by the end of
1945.

    Today, Sun wears sun glasses to cover his eyes, one of which was fused
shut by the explosion. He has problems standing up and sitting down, and
walking is difficult.

    He was one of the lucky ones.

    Countless people unable to endure the pain of their injuries and burns
jumped into the Motoyasu River near Ground Zero. Thousands of corpses were
seen floating in Hiroshima's rivers in the days after the bombing..

    "It was like the sun exploded," Sun said afer a luncheon held in honor
of the PC(USA) delegation's March 21 visit.

    The nine-member delegation is visiting educational institutions in Asia
as General Assembly Moderator the Rev. Douglas W. Oldenburg celebrates the
church's involvement in education around the world. While visiting schools
in Japan, the delegation worshiped with the 80-member Korean-Japanese
congregation.

    Oldenburg, who earlier preached at the Christian church during morning
services, decreed that such an "atrocity" should never be permitted again.

    "We from the United States not only pray for God's forgiveness, but for
your forgiveness," he told the Japanese. "So, as we say about the holocaust
in Germany, so we say, `Never again. ... Never again.'"

    The church was founded in 1948 by survivors of the atomic bomb. When
the congregation built a new church in 1988, they named it a "house of
peace" in honor of those who lost their lives in the bombing.

    "All these people come together as a community to work together as
peace makers," said Chong Wha Lee, an elder at the church and an official
with the South Korean Consulate, "and that's the thought behind the
church."

    Three women survivors on hand for the luncheon found the matter too
difficult to discuss and declined comment. It was similarly daunting for
one member of the American delegation.

    "The most powerful thing today was being in a room with those
survivors. It really brings it home," said the Rev. Daniel Force, executive
secretary for the Medical Benevolence Foundation, a validated mission
support group for health-related efforts of the PC(USA). "It's not
theoretical (to me) any more -  it's very real."

    Later, the Americans toured the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, which
honors the victims of the bombing. The museum features recorded testimony
from survivors, and uses artifacts, models, photographs, drawings by
survivors and panel exhibits to present the Hiroshima story.

    "The experience of being at Ground Zero is beyond words. The solemn
nature of Peace Park amidst the reality of such horrible destruction forces
one to reflect on what happens when humans attempt to be God," said the
Rev. David Maxwell, coordinator for global education in the Worldwide
Ministries Division. "As a Christian it made me recommit myself to do all I
can in my life to follow Christ's call to be a peacemaker and to help
prevent this ever happening again."