From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Re: AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS FOR APRIL 12, 1996

From LEAH_MCCARTER.parti@ecunet.org (LEAH MCCARTER)
Date 13 Apr 1999 14:06:24

To: wfn-editors@wfn.org

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS FOR APRIL 12, 1999
HTTP://WWW.ABC-USA.ORG

THE KOSOVO CRISIS
WHAT CAN YOUR CONGREGATION DO?

Many American Baptist Churches may be interested in responding to the
humanitarian crisis in Kosovo by making financial contributions.  If you
would like to have your contributions released at once, set your special
offering date and inform the congregation. Once the offering is taken and
the accounting is complete, fax or mail a simple letter of request to:

ABC/USA: Attention:  Barbara Jarrett @
  FAX No. 610-768-2275 or
  Mail to:  PO Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851

In the simple transmittal letter, use your church stationery with
letterhead. Indicate the offering is for Kosovo relief, the amount, and the
date. As soon as the fax or letter is received, the funds will be released
for immediate emergency use.  You do not need to enclose the check with the
initial request for transmittal. Instead, use the normal channels for
American Baptist Mission Support giving and indicate your Kosovo offering
under the Project I.D.  OGHKR. The Destination Code is OGH-03-000000.  In
this way, you will be able to use normal channels,
 but ensure that the gift goes for relief within days of your offering.

Some suggested nonfinancial ways of supporting this humanitarian effort
are:

* Ask members of your congregation to set aside a designated time of
 prayer for  peace so that the congregation, although scattered, can pray
in common.
* Have daily prayer services in the morning, noon, or in the evening.
* Sing a peacemaking hymn each service in relation to prayer.
* Include prayers for peace in Kosovo and Yugoslavia in every service.
* Join with other churches in your area to plan an interdenominational
 prayer service.
* Pray for the refugees and those who are working to give them comfort
 and safe haven.
* Along with other churches in your community, plan an interfaith prayer
service, especially including Muslim and Jewish congregations.
* Conduct Bible study sessions on Scripture passages regarding refugees
and other related subjects.  Resources are available through Church
World Service & Witness at 475 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10115.
* Plan a special program of discussion and prayer time for the youth and
young adults in your congregation.
* Prepare and distribute prayer lists that include names of world leaders
 involved in the Kosovo Crisis, service personnel in the region, families
 of overseas personnel, and Christian churches in the war areas.
* Remember especially the Baptist congregations in Yugoslavia which are
 especially targeted for persecution.

PRAYER OF INTERCESSION

Lord of Peace: Through your Son You have made clear the sanctity of
reconciliation: "Blessed are the peacemakers" - they will be called Your
children. The irony of this Savior is startling but intentional: suffering
the ultimate violence on the cross in order for us to be brought back into
peace, into community with You and with all humankind. Your gift of Grace
compels us to acknowledge our failings and to right what is wrong in this
conflict-ridden world. We weep with You when the schisms of our societies
mar the fragile stability of an already fallen creation, But we must do
more than weep. We must act to assure that some day "nation shall not lift
up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more."  Lord,
instill in us the desire to speak for peace to make it a reality.  Empower
us to be Your agents of change and reconciliation. May the transforming
power of Your Spirit draw us all into the love that marks us as Your
children. Amen.

Dr. Daniel E. Weiss, General Secretary, ABC-USA

#-