From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New Adventist Church President Reflects on Priorities

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 02 Apr 1999 23:27:42

April 3, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

New Adventist Church President Reflects on Priorities

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - Pastor Jan Paulsen, newly-
elected president of the Seventh-day Adventist Church,
spoke to several hundred Church employees at a meeting
in the Church's World Headquarters on March 15, and
affirmed the importance of working together as a
global family.

"This is the moment to hold together, to strengthen our
ties, and to keep on an even keel," said Paulsen. "I
treasure honesty and openness, and hope you will not
see me as someone you cannot talk to." He also indicated
that immediate and major changes to the operation of
the Church were not contemplated in the short-term.

"It would be presumptuous of me even to think that this
is the time to make major changes," said Paulsen. "In
the current situation I believe it is important to have
a sense of balance and unity." Asked about what he
viewed as the greatest priority facing his leadership,
Paulsen pointed to the international nature of
the Church.

"Internationality and diversity is not only a great
blessing to the Church, but also a formidable challenge,"
said Paulsen. "We are located in almost every culture,
and the pressing question in my mind is, 'How do we hold
together?' This means you have to allow a considerable
dexterity without losing your identity. In ten years -if we
are still here- we will probably have passed the 20 million
mark, and if you add the children to that, you're looking
at an Adventist family of 30 million. How do you hold
such a diverse international family together?"

Suggesting some solutions to the question, Paulsen
highlighted the importance of the Adventist identity.

"There has to be specific recognition and guidelines which
recognises the Church in every culture and every
international setting as being the forum which can best
express its identity, its power, its loyalty to God-and
that in itself will bring various elements to the Church.
For that to be possible and at the same time to keep secure
and strong that which keeps us one-that's the challenge."

Speaking before her husband, Kari Paulsen also echoed the
need for unity and togetherness.  "For the work to progress,
we need to work together," she said. "We cannot function in
isolation." She also shared personal anecdotes and stories
and she affirmed her joint commitment to work together with
her husband: "We have been together for a long time, and
I could not imagine life without him."

In his final comments, Pastor Paulsen urged the Church to
find unity in diversity. "We all need to allow the Church
to find the differences that are compatible within the
oneness of the family. The oneness of the Adventist family
is recognised by our one identity." [99/08/03]