From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

PC(USA) Supports Asian Farm-Leadership Program

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 05 Apr 1999 20:06:58

5-April-1999
99136

    PC(USA) Supports Asian
    Farm-Leadership Program

    by Evan Silverstein

NISHINASUNO, Japan - Kosanam P. Reddy remembers why he attended the Asian
Rural Institute (ARI), a center where rural community leaders from
developing countries in Asia and Africa learn the finer points of organic
farming.

    "ARI taught me perseverance, hard work and patience," said Reddy, a
native of India and a 1985 graduate of the Christian interdenominational
institute. "It enabled me to lift up the priorities, the means and the time
schedule (for growing and harvesting crops). I am inculcating the principle
which I learned at ARI, `That we may live together,' into the minds of the
people, so they may know the blessing of sharing whatever we have with
others."

    Thanks to ARI, Reddy and other graduates are making a difference in
rural communities from India to Kenya to Nepal to Thailand, with practical
hands-on training in community farming.

    The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is among a number of ecumenical groups
that have contributed scholarship funding since ARI's formation 26 years
ago. Mission workers have helped build facilities at the training center,
such as the women's dormitory, and ARI's graduates include numerous
representatives of Presbyterian churches in Asia and Africa.

    "I'm most impressed with the servant-style leadership of the
institute," said David Maxwell, coordinator of the Global Education office
of Worldwide Ministries, PC(USA), which provides scholarship funding to
ARI.  "The participants (Christian leaders in rural communities) come and
learn alongside of experts who share in all the daily chores right
alongside them. They not only learn practical life-saving farming
techniques, but also learn good Christian leadership skills in order to
effectively witness to their neighbors back home."

    Today, ARI, which is affiliated with the United Church of Christ in
Japan, has trained more than 900 men and women from 48 nations since it was
established in 1973. The campus is tucked away on about 15 acres of
farmland 100 miles north of Tokyo. Some students also spend time at ARI's
smaller Philippine campus near Santa Rita, Negros.

    Every year about 35 men and women from various Christian denominations
gather at the institute to learn through classroom lectures and by putting
theory into practice by performing daily chores necessary to maintain a
self-sufficient farm.

    Living a simple life, participants grow vegetables and rice, raise
poultry for eggs and meat and care for pigs and cows. They even study fish
farming, among other techniques, and learn how to reduce the need for
outside resources and chemicals that pollute the land. They learn about
such things as compost farming and collecting native microorganisms to
improve the soil.

    Participants also learn the dignity of manual labor, the key ingredient
of life on the farm. They are taught the importance of being a servant
leader to empower others to achieve farming self-sufficiency, all in the
context of ARI's community credo: "That we may live together."

    "Pastors, priests, school principals and others often find it very
difficult to engage in physical labor, soiling or dirtying their hands and
knees," said ARI founder Toshihiro Takami. "They think it is below their
dignity to take a shovel or a broom to scrape up chicken or pig dung. In
this painful process of having our own conventional images shattered, we
find ourselves emerging with new images of ourselves, of leadership, life
and culture. All this happens as we work together to produce and share food
and other resources."

    Takami started ARI "to serve God's creation by producing rural leaders"
after 11 years with the Southeast Asia Course (SEAC), a program similar to
ARI at Tsurukawa Rural Seminary near Tokyo.

    Last year PC(USA) contributed $6,000 to help send a participant from
Northeastern India to the training center. The cost of a student's course
of training is about $15,750. The church has contributed between $5,000 to
$8,000 a year for the past 10 years, according to Nancy Molin, the
institute's ecumenical-relations officer, who works with church-related
organizations to secure funding.

    "It's an expression of support from the Presbyterians that they know
what we're doing and they're behind us," she said. "As far away from here
as (the home office in) Louisville, Ky. is, there are people who care and
who are in partnership with us, and that's important above and beyond the
value of the actual dollar. The sense of being in partnership with people
around the world has real meaning for us."

    Molin said additional financial support comes from individual
Presbyterian congregations in the United States and restricted endowments
from the PC(USA) Foundation.

    ARI's annual Rural Leader's Training Program begins on April 1 and ends
in mid-December. Five to 10 Japanese participants usually attend ARI, which
uses the word "participant" rather than "student," because those who attend
are teachers as well as learners.

    Many subjects are dealt with through short courses, seminars and
observation trips. One-third of the program takes place off campus,
according to J.B. Hoover, ARI's coordinator of graduate outreach.
Throughout the session, participants are encouraged to grow in their
ability to observe situations, analyze problems, find solutions and
evaluate the process.

    Participants visit farms, schools and community organizations. There is
one major off-campus study trip, as well as tours of  northern and western
Japan.

    ARI instructors include men and women from several countries, Hoover
said. Their combined experience includes proficiency in organic farming of
crops and vegetables, animal husbandry, nutrition, farm technology, fish
culture, food processing, cooperatives and credit unions, integrated
farming, rural leadership skills, community organization and spiritual
growth.

    Participants also eat what they grow. More than 80 percent of the food
consumed at ARI is grown on campus. Participants hone their leadership
skills by heading seminars and presenting project reports related to their
areas of study, so that what they  learn can be shared with the entire
group. They also take turns sharing duties in the kitchen.

    Each day the community meets in the chapel for morning gathering. The
leader of the day uses music, scripture, prayers and meditations
appropriate to his or her own tradition. These fellowship experiences,
along with time shared over meals or in working and playing together, are
aimed at providing opportunities to develop multicultural communication
skills.

    Those applying to ARI must have a "sending body," an organization that
is carrying out programs for rural development. The institute has limited
funds for assisting sending bodies for prospective applicants.

    The center requires applicants to first seek funding from their sending
bodies and other sources for international travel costs. If adequate
funding is unavailable, a sending body may apply to ARI for a travel grant
so that an applicant can attend.

    From there ARI is responsible for the cost of all non-Japanese
participant's study and living expenses. The institute also provides a
small monthly allowance for personal needs.

    "It's the context in which we help participants improve their
communication skills ... to be more effective rural leaders when they
return to their countries," Hoover said, summing up the program. "They
learn that to know is to lead."