From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Statement by ELCA Presiding Bishop on Crisis in the Balkans

From NEWS <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 09 Apr 1999 16:56:10

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 9, 1999

STATEMENT BY ELCA PRESIDING BISHOP
ON CRISIS IN THE BALKANS
99-86-JB

     Like most Americans, I have been distressed by the reports of the
evolving crisis in the Balkans.  The tragic suffering of the Kosovo
Albanians, caused by armed attacks and other forms of violence
including "ethnic cleansing"   conducted by Yugoslav security forces,
compels the international community to respond.  I regret that military
action has largely replaced diplomacy.
     The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) is helping to
provide immediate humanitarian assistance to the vast number of refugees
in need throughout the region.  Members of our church have been
responding generously through the ELCA's International Disaster Response
to enable our partners, such as Action by Churches Together and Lutheran
World Relief, to meet the urgent  needs of those fleeing the brutality
inflicted upon them.  I appeal to all of our members to continue to
provide resources for the care of the refugees.  Lutheran Immigration
and Refugee Service is advocating for hospitality within the
international community on the refugees' behalf and has pledged to work
with our government to assist those for whom the United States has
agreed to provide safe haven.
     The ELCA's 1995 social statement, "For Peace in God's World,"
notes that "while we support the use of nonviolent measures, there may
be no other way to offer protection in some circumstances than by
restraining forcibly those harming the innocent."  The statement calls
upon us to make opposition to "genocide and other grievous violations of
human rights" a priority. However, it also urges "nations to provide
leadership, education, structures and funds for the peaceful resolution
of conflict.  Nations should do so with the same commitment that they
prepare people to settle disputes with military force."
     At a time when it is easy to demonize the enemy, let us remember
that all people, everywhere, have been created in God's image.  In this
Easter season, in which we affirm Jesus' promise of life in all its
fullness, we pray for all nations affected by this conflict.  We appeal
to all persons of good will to continue to help the afflicted.  In hope
for justice and peace, we call upon all the parties to refrain from
public posturing, to halt the violence and to return to the negotiating
table.

The Rev. H. George Anderson
Presiding Bishop
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America