From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist Leads NASA Expedition to North Pole

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 13 Apr 1999 14:14:50

April 13,1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventist Leads NASA Expedition to North Pole

Spencerville, Maryland, USA - Michael Comberiate, a
scientist with NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center and a
committed Seventh-day Adventist, is leading a NASA
expedition to the North Pole beginning April 19.

The "Cool Space" expedition will be tracking floating
icesheets using six satellites, and assisting Inuit
students to process satellite data of the polar
weather. In addition, the team will be taking soil
samples at Resolute Bay, making ozone measurements at
the Pole, and examining ice thickness. The
investigation will help determine the decreasing ozone
levels in the upper atmosphere and the thinning of
Arctic sea ice caused by environmental changes.

Comberiate is the instigator of 53 "Cool Space"
projects such as this over the past 15 years at NASA.
He links his work closely to his belief in God.

"My chief concern is to develop my relationship with
God in this process," says Comberiate. "As I travel to
all the nooks and crannies of this planet, I find that
I want God to be right there with me. I take on these
extracurricular challenges because I want to.  I want
the thrill and the opportunities to put something back
into a system that has given me much.  I want to make a
difference and to move people profoundly. I want to
excite and encourage others to reach for the stars
and get there, too!"

Comberiate is currently working on a book-on-tape
entitled "Why a Rocket Scientist Trusts God" to develop
his ideas that faith and science are not incompatible.

"It's logical, in view of the observable evidence, to
trust in God, because the many issues of faith that we
hold can be reasonably understood and need not be
blindly believed," says Comberiate.

He will be accompanied on the expedition by other
scientists, and fellow Adventist Richard Gamble, a
photo-journalist who will prepare a documentary report
of the trip. Comberiate and Gamble both attend the
Spencerville Seventh-day Adventist Church in
Spencerville, Maryland.

(c) Copyright
Adventist Press Service (APD)/
Adventist News Network (ANN) 1999.