From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Council Approves Funds for Special Projects

From NEWS <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 16 Apr 1999 13:36:32

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 16, 1999

ELCA COUNCIL APPROVES FUNDS FOR SPECIAL PROJECTS
99-15-102-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA)   The Church Council of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA) established a designated fund of $3 million and
authorized the ELCA presiding bishop to allocate the funds for global
and domestic mission, including pilot programs intended to benefit poor
people in urban and rural areas.
     The Church Council is the ELCA's board of directors and serves as
the legislative authority of the church between churchwide assemblies.
The council met here April 9-12.  Assemblies are held every other year;
the next is August 16-22 in Denver.
     The $3 million primarily for the poor was authorized as part of a
series of additional one-time expenditures.  The funds were made
available because the churchwide organization has spent less than it
received for several years, enhancing its reserves significantly, said
Sandra G. Gustavson, ELCA council member, Athens, Ga.  Gustavson chairs
the council's budget and finance Committee.
     "Our intent is to recognize that we've been blessed over the years
and been able to build our reserves," she said.
     The Rev. H. George Anderson, presiding bishop of the ELCA, said
the council's decision to allocate $3 million primarily for the poor is
a "tithe," a 10 percent commitment of the church's reserves.  Pilot
programs developed by ELCA synods will be considered for funding, the
council's action said.
     In addition, the council authorized spending for a variety of
support ministries that it said need special attention:
     -- $600,000 was designated as an endowment for "In the City for
Good," an ELCA effort aimed at revitalizing ministries in urban areas of
the United States and Caribbean;
     -- $500,000 was designated as an endowment for the Special Needs
Retirement Fund, a fund that provides financial help to retired pastors
and their spouses whose pensions are inadequate to meet living expenses;
     -- $500,000 was designated for leadership development in the ELCA,
with emphasis on ethnic leadership;
     -- $300,000 was designated for anti-racism projects with the
ELCA's ecumenical partners.  The council agreed that preference should
be given to the full communion partners of the ELCA, including the
Presbyterian Church U.S.A., Reformed Church in America and the United
Church of Christ.
     -- $100,000 was designated for the ELCA World Hunger Appeal, the
fundraising arm of the ELCA's World Hunger Program.  The funds are
intended to revitalize the appeal during 1999, its 25th anniversary
year.
     -- $2 million was designated for the ELCA's Identity Project, a
public media campaign aimed at raising awareness of the Lutheran church
and providing positive reinforcement to ELCA members. Up to $500,000 of
that is intended for development of print and broadcast materials in
Spanish and the remainder is for national advertising.  Previously, the
council and Aid Association for Lutherans, a fraternal benefits
organization based in Appleton, Wis., allocated funds for grants to
synods and congregations to use the materials.
     Spending for many of the projects is expected to take place over a
three to five year period.
     The council also designated $5 million to reduce the mortgage on
The Lutheran Center, the central offices of the ELCA here.  Reducing the
mortgage will "provide additional resources for our own ministry,"
Anderson said.
     "I am excited about the possibility we have to strengthen our
mission," said the Rev. Callon W. Holloway, Jr., bishop of the ELCA
Southern Ohio Synod, Columbus, an advisory bishop to the council.

For information contact: