From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS FOR APRIL 16, 1999

From LEAH_MCCARTER.parti@ecunet.org (LEAH MCCARTER)
Date 20 Apr 1999 12:10:44

To: wfn-editors@wfn.org

April 16, 1999

AMERICAN BAPTIST SEMINARIES ANNOUNCE SUPPORT
OF NEW LIFE 2010 CHURCH PLANTING GOAL

 VALLEY FORGE, PA. (ABNS)-The deans and presidents of the American Baptist semin
aries have announced their intention to support the denomination's goal to plant
 1,010 new congregations by the year 2010. The goal is part of the NEW LIFE 2010
 emphasis, which also seeks to welcome 1,000,010 new believers and vitalize a mu
ltitude of caring ministries.

Speaking on behalf of the American Baptist Association of  Seminary Administrato
rs, Northern Baptist Theological Seminary President Ian M. Chapman said the inst
itutions will offer the services of their faculties to provide theological and b
iblical courses as part of the New Church Planting Institute being created to tr
ain American Baptist new church planters. In a letter to Dr. Aidsand F. Wright-R
iggins III, executive director of National Ministries, Chapman stated, "We appla
ud and support the bold vision of starting these new churches, and wish to provi
de these theological and biblical resources which we believe will greatly streng
then these new pastoral leaders as they begin these challenging ministries."

The New Church Planting Institute is being funded through the current "New Chris
tians, New Churches, New Century" capital funds campaign, coordinated by the Rev
 . Cheryl F. Dudley, National Ministries associate executive director for Home Mi
ssion Development. For more information contact Dudley at 800-ABC-3USA, ext. 1-2
420.

NEW LIFE 2010 grew out of a grassroots challenge to be faithful to God's leading
 as we step into the new millennium. "Rising to meet this challenge," said Wrigh
t-Riggins, "we are motivated by our commitment to the Great Commission (Matthew
28:18-20), the Great Commandment (Matthew 22:37-40) and the Great Criteria (Matt
hew 25:31-46)."

EDUCATIONAL MINISTRIES TO DEVELOP RESOURCES  FOR
NEW LIFE 2010 CHURCH PLANTING GOAL

 VALLEY FORGE, PA. (ABNS)-Dr. Jean B. Kim, executive director of Educational Min
istries, American Baptist Churches USA, has announced the organization's intenti
on to support programmatically the denomination's goal to plant 1,010 new congre
gations by the year 2010. The goal is part of the NEW LIFE 2010 emphasis, which
also seeks to welcome 1,000,010 new believers and vitalize a multitude of caring
 ministries.

In particular, Kim said Educational Ministries has made a commitment to develop
Christian education resources specifically designed for new churches. "Education
al Ministries staff are excited about developing materials and methods that will
 nurture the faith and build the biblical foundation of persons who will come to
 Christ through the denomination-wide NEW LIFE 2010 efforts led by National Mini
stries."

Kim is part of a denominational consulting group meeting in Chicago at the end o
f the month to pray for and plan for NEW LIFE 2010.

"Please pray for us as we face this challenge," said Dr. Aidsand F. Wright-Riggi
ns III, National Ministries executive director, who is convening the consultatio
n and leading National Ministries in developing new mission initiatives relating
 to NEW LIFE 2010. "NEW LIFE 2010 demands that we pray without ceasing for God's
 guidance and the energy of the Spirit. We are grateful for the support and comm
itment of our mission partners as together we seek to vitalize our mission for J
esus Christ in a new millennium."

April 16, 1999

INTERNATIONAL MINISTRIES AND NATIONAL MINISTRIES
TO TRAIN AMERICAN BAPTIST NEW CHURCH PLANTERS FOR NEW LIFE 2010

 VALLEY FORGE, PA. (ABNS)-The executive directors of American Baptist Internatio
nal Ministries and American Baptist National Ministries for American Baptist Chu
rches USA have announced plans to work with new church planters engaged with cul
tural groups in the U.S. to train leaders for service both at home and overseas.
 The commitment to undergird new church planters supports the denomination's goa
l to plant 1,010 new congregations by the year 2010.

Dr. John Sundquist and Dr. Aidsand F. Wright-Riggins III indicated the mission p
artnership has developed out of the NEW LIFE 2010 denominational emphasis, which
 also seeks to welcome 1,000,010 new believers and vitalize a multitude of carin
g ministries.

As part of the joint commitment to training new church planters, persons trainin
g for overseas mission assignments would have the opportunity to work with a new
 U.S. congregation composed of people from the country in which they will be ser
ving. In addition, returning International Ministries missionaries would have th
e opportunity to use their language skills and knowledge of the culture, assisti
ng new church planters in the U.S. and also sharing ministry in new American Bap
tist congregations.

In making the announcement, Sundquist expressed enthusiasm "for this great Ameri
can Baptist family that so ably connects for the sake of the Gospel."

Wright-Riggins noted "the tremendous opportunities that have opened up through t
he commitment of International Ministries and other American Baptist mission par
tners to NEW LIFE 2010, including regions and local churches across the country.
"

99u416a.txt

 -0-