From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Jesse Jackson brings message of hope, healing, harmony

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 21 Apr 1999 12:05:52

April 20, 1999 News media contact: Tim Tanton*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.
10-21-31-71BP{206}

NOTE:  A photograph is available with this story.

By Woody Woodrick*

JACKSON, Miss. (UMNS) -- A ticket to heaven carries a price of compassion
and action, the Rev. Jesse Jackson said during his second stop in a sweep
through the South.

Jackson preached his message April 18 at Galloway Memorial United Methodist
Church. Mississippi's capital was Jackson's second stop on a 23-city
Southern crusade urging hope, healing and racial harmony. The crusade is
sponsored by Jackson's Rainbow/PUSH Coalition.

The Galloway sanctuary was filled to its capacity of 1,100 to hear Jackson.
The congregation included many local and state dignitaries.

Jackson told the crowd the church must lead the way in aiding the least
among society. Only then, he said, will Christians meet the criteria Christ
established to gain eternal life in heaven.

"We are called today to worship together, sing together and pray together.
The church must show society the way," he said.

While Jackson spoke about racial harmony, most of his sermon was about those
in need regardless of race. He noted that most poor people in the South are
white women.

"As we seek hope and healing, we are challenged to go forward by our hopes
and desires," Jackson said, "and not be held back by our memories and pain."

Speaking about finding society's lost sheep, Jackson used Luke 15:1-7 as his
text. "The good shepherd obligated us to feed the hungry and find the lost,
the least, the left-behind," he said.

After the service, Jackson said his message is as much about economic
security as racial harmony. "We know about Wall Street, but what about
Walls, Miss.?" he said. By helping the "lost sheep" of society, Mississippi
can encourage more of its talented people to remain in their home state, he
said.

The U.S. government finds funds to bail out other nations from financial
crises, but it can't find money for its own people, he said. He urged those
in attendance to fight for Social Security, children and health care.

"Mississippi has been given a great moment. You have the talent, you have
the market and you have the rich soil. Let's do this together.

"This is our moment; a new day. A new hope. A new Mississippi," Jackson
said, concluding his sermon to a standing ovation.

The service was closed by Jackson's daughter, Santita Jackson, singing a
moving rendition of "To God Be the Glory."

Not all of Galloway's members were pleased that Jackson spoke at the church.
When the service was announced earlier in the week, the Rev. Sam Morris, the
senior pastor, was criticized for his decision to welcome Jackson, a
longtime crusader for racial and social change.

"It was my choice," Morris said of having Jackson speak. "Although some
might have thought it would be too political, the vast majority (of members)
were supportive."

Bishop Marshall L. (Jack) Meadors agreed. "I really had a sense that this
might be something new, but I didn't see it as extremely bold. It just
seemed the appropriate thing to do," he said.

"It was a great celebration of worship. Anyone in the sanctuary felt the
presence of God bringing us together," Morris said.

Galloway member Lloyd Hawkins said he appreciated the message on racial
reconciliation. Helen Tester, who was with Hawkins, liked what Jackson said
about putting aside false pride.

Morris said he believes having Jackson speak at the predominantly white,
downtown church will provide all Christians some direction. "For some, it
opened old wounds they might have thought had healed. While they may have
healed on the outside, they remained on the inside," he said.

God provides the balm to heal such wounds and allows people of all
backgrounds to come together as the body of Christ, Morris said. "I hope
this will be a foundation and instrument of the kingdom of God, where all
people of God gather in worship and service."
# # #
*Woodrick is editor of the Mississippi United Methodist Advocate, the
newspaper of the Mississippi Annual Conference.

United Methodist News Service
http://www.umc.org/umns/
newsdesk@umcom.umc.org
(615)742-5472