From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA on Colorado School Massacres

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 21 Apr 1999 16:11:02

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227
E-mail: news@ncccusa.org; Web: www.ncccusa.org

46NCC4/21/99  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

STATEMENT IN RESPONSE TO COLORADO SCHOOL MASSACRES
By The Rev. Dr. Staccato Powell
NCC Deputy General Secretary/Executive Director, National
Ministries Unit
National Council of Churches

The National Council of Churches National Ministries Unit
expresses its deep and sincere sorrow to the families of the
victims, to the students and the entire Littleton, Colorado,
community.  We know they will have to live in response to
this great human tragedy for many years to come and our
sincere prayers go out to them.

As people of faith, we must collectively find a way to form
partnerships throughout all communities to prevent guns and
other violent weapons and explosives from getting into the
hands of our children.  We must also facilitate forums and
open dialogue in local communities to discuss creative and
innovative ways to help our children make the transition
from childhood to adulthood without resorting to violence to
deal with day-to-day frustrations.

The NCC National Ministries Unit encourages its 35 member
communions and all ecumenical organizations across America
to pause and assess the proliferation of violence among the
nation's young.  Schools were once perceived as safe havens,
but in recent years they have become killing fields.  Even
in suburbia there is no hiding place.

-end-
 -0-