From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Disciples members among survivors of

From "Disciples Off. of Communication"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 22 Apr 1999 12:06:43

Denver-area shooting
Date: April 22, 1999
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

99b-26

	LITTLETON, Colo. (DNS) -- Five members of a
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
congregation here escaped injury during the April
20 massacre at a local high school. The carnage
at Columbine High School left 15 persons dead; 12
students, one teacher and the two gunmen, who
committed suicide.

	Four of the surviving students and a teacher are
members of South Suburban Christian Church, here.
The church is approximately seven miles east of
Columbine High School, according to the Rev. H.
Deral Schrom, senior minister.

	"Everything began to happen around 11:30
(a.m.)," Schrom said. "As we became aware of it,
we were concerned about some of the families in
our own congregation." Word began to "trickle in
over the course of the afternoon" after church
officials made several calls to inquire about
members' safety.

	Schrom said music teacher Leland Andres "really
did a tremendous job in keeping a number of
students safe." While the gunmen were on the
rampage, Andres locked several students in an
assembly room and instructed them to get on the
floor, to stay calm and to pray.

	"They were in there for about 15 minutes," said
Schrom. "After the shooters passed that area, a
custodian was able to come by and let them out."

	Also escaping injury was Andres' son, who
teaches at Columbine High School. He is not a
member of South Suburban Church.

	The congregation held an impromptu prayer
service that evening (April 20). "There were
people who just needed to be here," said Schrom.
South Suburban held a more formal service April
21 for families whose students were affected by
the tragedy. "We want to offer our love and
support to them," he said.

	The service was to include the reading of
several electronic mail messages received by the
congregation. "We got a stack of e-mail from
across the country," Schrom added. A communion
service and candle lighting ceremony also were
held to honor slain students and faculty and
survivors.

	Sunday's worship theme also will change,
according to the pastor. The church's choir will
sing a song composed to commemorate the Oklahoma
City bombing "plus what we've just gone through."

	Besides the liturgical observances, the
congregation will offer its counseling center to
help persons deal with grief resulting from the
catastrophe. "Our counselor has already said that
she's available for students in need of any
help," Schrom indicated.

	The church's young adult or "GenX" group
provided invaluable assistance on the day of the
disaster to emergency personnel gathered at
Leawood Elementary School. The group took pizza
to workers staffing a hastily arranged
communications center at the school. "They also
provided care and support for those folks," said
Schrom.

	Schrom also offered thanks for prayers of
support for South Suburban Church. "We know that
we are supported and lifted up in prayer," he
said. "We hope those prayers continue. The
healing is going to take a long time."

	In fact, prayers will be needed over the next
few months, for the students especially, and the
faculty at Columbine High School. "Their
innocence was just stripped away yesterday,"
Schrom said. "This is the kind of situation that
people say always happens somewhere else. That
naivete was taken away yesterday."

	-- end --