From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

General Minister and President Issues

From "Disciples Off. of Communication"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 26 Apr 1999 10:32:27

Pastoral Comment on Kosovo Crisis
Date: April 23, 1999
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

99a-29

	INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- In a "pastoral word" to
the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ),
General Minister and President Richard L. Hamm
says there are two clear actions committed North
American Christians can take regarding the
conflict in Kosovo.

	"First," Hamm says, "we can speak and pray for
an early end to the NATO bombing and the Serbian
abuse of those Kosovars still in Kosovo couple
with a return to the negotiating table."  He
encourages prayer that NATO leaders will gain the
wisdom to speak and act in ways that will
de-escalate the fighting and contribute to a just
peace.  The Disciples general pastor also calls
for prayer for refugees and all who are
victimized by the fighting, and prayer that the
war will not spread to adjacent countries.

	Hamm also encouraged gifts to the Week of
Compassion, the relief and human development
ministry of the Christian Church (Disciples of
Christ).  Week of Compassion is supporting the
work of Church World Service and Action by
Churches Together, whose partners are bringing
relief assistance and pastoral care to refugees.

	In his communique, the GMP said it appears that
NATO bombing in the region is a strategic
failure.  It has "served merely to displace many
hundreds of thousands of refugees and strengthen
the political hand of Mr. Milosevic. I have added
my voice to those who are calling for a
cease-fire, the end of ethnic cleansing and the
resumption of talks," Hamm said.

-- end --

	{Editors: the full text of the Rev. Hamm's
pastoral communication accompanies this
release.}

April 21, 1999

A Pastoral Word from Richard L. Hamm, General
Minister and President of the Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ) in the United States and
Canada

I have been slow to publish a statement about the
situation in Kosovo because, like so many others,
I have been unclear about what is the "right
thing" for NATO to do. I am always disappointed
when diplomacy gives way to military action. On
the other hand, standing by and watching what was
happening in Kosovo apart from NATO action was
also difficult.

It now appears that the bombing is a strategic
failure which has served merely to displace many
hundreds of thousands of refugees and to
strengthen the political hand of Mr. Milosevic. I
have added my voice to those who are calling for
a cease fire, the end of ethnic cleansing and the
resumption of talks.

At this point, we have two clear actions that we
can each take as committed North American
Christians. First, we can speak and pray for an
early end to the NATO bombing and the Serbian
abuse of those Kosovars still in Kosovo coupled
with a return to the negotiating table. Included
in these prayers should be intercession for the
leaders of the NATO pact nations that they may
receive the wisdom to speak and act in ways that
will de-escalate the war and contribute to a just
peace. We ought also to pray that the war will
not spread to adjacent countries. Obviously, we
also need to be praying for the refugees and all
of those who are caught up in this tragic
conflagration.

Second, we can contribute money to the Week of
Compassion, through which we can support relief
efforts in the several countries around Kosovo
that are receiving huge numbers of refugees. Week
of Compassion is supporting the work of Church
World Service and Action by Churches Together,
whose partners are not only working tirelessly
around the clock to bring relief assistance and
pastoral care to thousands of weary refugees, but
have already been working in the region for
several years. Our contributions to Week of
Compassion will be used promptly, wisely and in
their entirety to respond to the immense and
immediate physical, emotional and spiritual needs
of the refugees. Please send your gifts to Week
of Compassion, P.O. Box 1986, Indianapolis, IN
46206.

Shalom, Richard L. Hamm