From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Archbishop Carey visits US

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 26 Apr 1999 10:35:34

For more information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
Kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-039
Archbishop of Canterbury speaks at UN conference, visits Alabama and
Sewanee
by Jim Goodson

(ENS) Peace among nations is impossible without peace among major
religions, Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey told about 1,000 people
March 15 to conclude the Thanksgiving World Assembly.

"Religion is the missing dimension in statecraft today," Carey said. "We
need a new dialogue between the secular and religious world."

The Thanksgiving World Assembly brought religious leaders from 33
nations to Dallas to kick off the United Nations' celebration of 2000:
An International Year of Thanksgiving.

Speakers included Cardinal Francis Arinze of Nigeria, considered a
potential papal candidate, Dr. Muzammil Husain Siddiqi, president of the
Islamic Society of North America, and Dr. K.L. Seshagiri Rao, professor
emeritus in the department of religious studies at the University of
Virginia and one of the world's leading Hindu scholars.

Carey was the keynote speaker at closing ceremonies, which included a
celebration of harvest festivals from around the world and a call to
religious leaders to foster a sense of commonality in the next
millennium.
False security
The archbishop said western secular thought, buttressed by the explosion
of technology, offers a false security that's leading to social decay.
"I question what kind of society is simply content with material
wealth," Carey said. "And I question the hubris that often accompanies
western thinking today."

Giving thanks on a continuous basis is the core value for virtually
every major religion, Carey said. Technological advances are also a gift
from God to his people, the archbishop said, listing ways a sense of
gratitude helps us reach our full potential.

"A spirit of thanksgiving makes us tolerant of other people, faiths and
beliefs and forces us to make room for others, especially minorities,"
Carey said. "Tolerance is written into the codes of all major religions.
Giving thanks to God through regular prayer and worship allows us a more
generous understanding of the world around us."

The archbishop described an incident when he was principal of Trinity
College in Bristol, England.

"I had to discipline a fellow staff member whose behavior was far short
of university standards," Carey said. "I got up that morning prepared to
give him a very rough time. But as I walked up the hill I decided to
think of him as an individual with very unique gifts--and as someone who
means well, in spite of some severe faults.

"I was no longer angry and vengeful. Instead, we discussed the pertinent
issues, shook hands and left the room friends. A crisis was averted. I
was still somewhat stern, but it was a warmer, kinder kind of stern. And
we solved a significant problem."
Resilience of religious thought
Carey said he is always impressed by the resilience of true religious
thought, which emphasizes an understanding of the faith of others.

"We've seen the death of Nazism and Communism, but we haven't seen the
end of many conflicts based upon a poor understanding of religion that
plays up ethnic and historical differences at the expense of
thanksgiving," Carey said, citing the Middle East, Northern Ireland and
Algeria as prime examples.

People should have the freedom of expression to change religious beliefs
without fear of reprisal, the archbishop said. "A commitment to
reciprocity should be at the core of our actions. We should share our
religious experiences and support one another in our mutual quest for
understanding."

A spirit of thanksgiving causes all religious people to condemn all
atrocities, he said. "We must make room for common action and
protest--and we have a responsibility to listen to and understand each
other, particularly among the great missionary faiths of Christianity
and Islam. Sharing Jesus Christ also means listening to the other's
story."

He argued that "noting the impressive common ground we all share will
help us build a more just and peaceful world."

The archbishop called upon world religious leaders to make a creative
contribution to the world. "The story of the 21st century will revolve
around the ability of major religions to show that God is a God of
love," he said "Giving thanks is a wonderful place to start."

The four-day assembly was sponsored by The Thanks-Giving Foundation, a
non-profit agency based in Dallas and begun in 1964 to promote the
thanksgiving tradition in the United States. It now encompasses an
international focus.

Sir John Templeton, founder of Templeton Funds and the Templeton Prize,
is president of The Thanks-Giving Foundation. The Templeton Prize was
first awarded in 1974 to an unknown nun named Mother Teresa.
Doctorate from Sewanee
Before the conference in Dallas, Carey stopped at Sewanee's University
of the South to accept an honorary doctor of divinity degree on March
12. Dean Guy Lytle of the School of Theology said that it was a reminder
"that we are part of the worldwide Anglican Communion."

According to Lytle, Carey "powerfully urged young women and men to
respond to God's call to the ordained ministry in these exciting times,
and affirmed and challenged those already in seminary by telling the
story of his own faith journey and ministry."

In addressing the role of universities in helping to change societies,
Carey said that "new knowledge is often greeted by fear because it
threatens established thinking. It asks questions and unsettles dull
conformity. It introduces new assumptions and questions old ones.
Universities should be an irritant to society, hotbeds of radical
thinking, the grit in the oyster that may become a pearl. Universities
remind us that our understanding and experience of our world are always
provisional," Carey said.

Universities and churches are bound together in valuing transformation
and an obligation to tradition, Carey added. "A university helps a
society transcend itself in analyzing the past afresh and building on
it." But he argued that "no university, any more than a church, is a
slave to tradition but is always reflecting critically on the journey
taken."
Careys in Alabama
The Careys also visited the Diocese of Alabama and the Cathedral Church
of the Advent March 13-14, addressing the clergy of the diocese and the
chapter of the cathedral and their spouses at a dinner given in his
honor, and preached to overflow crowds.

Carey spoke with what was described as "clarity and compassion as one
acquainted with and touched by the needs and sufferings of many
Christians throughout the world, and with theological candor and courage
as he outlined mission imperatives for the Church in the twenty-first
century."

He listed:
*	Renewal of faith. "We must define a church not by what it looks
like but by what it stands for, its message, its faith."
*	A more accessible faith. "Beware of erecting hurdles that some
will find too high to clear...baptism, for example....I was grateful to
God that when I was a baby my parents who did not go to church were not
rejected by their minister....The Anglican Church took me in [at
baptism] before I took it in."
*	Renewal of structures. "I've noticed a curious thing in my
ministry: We apply two standards to Church life....To individuals we
say, 'live by faith, trust in God, be adaptable, learn the importance of
sacrifice.' We don't say that to our structures.... Structures too must
be missionary minded."

Carey challenged his listeners to "risk being generous" in sharing the
gospel with others and to openly welcome strangers into the church.
"Don't put boundaries...around our Church," he said, "because so many
people yearn for God but don't know his name." And he encouraged his
hosts to "trust God and go for it," to "create community" and to
"increasingly aim at becoming a seven-day-a-week church ministry to help
people where they are. Mission without evangelism is social work and
evangelism without mission is worthless."
--This article is based on reports from Jim Goodson in the Diocese of
Dallas; Sarah Moore at the University of the South in Sewanee; and the
Rev. Canon Thomas Hotchkiss at the cathedral in Birmingham, Alabama.