From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Complaint against Iowa pastor dismissed

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 28 Apr 1999 13:33:30

April 28, 1999  News media contact: Linda Green*(615)742-5470*Nashville,
Tenn.  10-21-28-71B{237}

By United Methodist News Service

A complaint filed against an Iowa pastor earlier this year for participating
in a "holy union" service for two women in Sacramento, Calif., has been
dismissed by the bishop.

The Rev. David Holmes of Council Bluffs was named in a complaint filed Jan.
21 with Iowa Bishop Charles W. Jordan for violating the denomination's
proscriptions against homosexual unions. The complaint said  Holmes'
participation in the Sacramento service violated Paragraph 65C of the 1996
United Methodist Book of Discipline.

"It is my conclusion that David Holmes did not violate paragraph 65C,"
Jordan wrote in an April 21 letter to the clergy of the Iowa Conference.

He said his decision was made after he and a supervisory team met with
Holmes, consulted with cabinet members, other bishops, selected conference
leadership;  reviewed a video of the service;  and examined the printed
order of  worship.

According to the church's Social Principles, "Ceremonies that celebrate
homosexual unions shall not be conducted by our ministers and shall not be
conducted in our churches." The United Methodist Judicial Council, the
church's supreme court, ruled last August that the passage is enforceable.

Jordan said that Holmes' participation in the union service on Jan. 16
"consisted of being in the processional and sharing in a prayer with nearly
100 others. He did not conduct nor did he have a leadership role in any part
of the service. His presence was one of witness and solidarity."

The letter from Jordan further notes that Holmes "has stated that he does
not plan to conduct any services celebrating homosexual unions and has
agreed that if circumstances arise in the future where he feels it necessary
to reconsider this intention, he will consult with his bishop prior to any
action. Therefore, the complaint has been resolved to the satisfaction to
all parties involved."

Jordan reminded the clergy that there is a difference between disagreeing
with church's position and violating church law.

"Those who seek changes are advised to follow the prescribed and accepted
methods of our polity. I pray that we will boldly claim our unity in Christ
and fully accept the diversity that exists among us. And when it becomes
necessary to administer the law, may it be done in the spirit and attitude
of grace."
# # #

United Methodist News Service
http://www.umc.org/umns/