From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Zacchaeus survey studies Episcopalians

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 06 Jul 1999 11:34:45

For more information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
Kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-086

Zacchaeus survey confirms a Church energy source--its
congregations

by Kathryn McCormick

(ENS) What does it mean to be an Episcopalian at the end of
the second Millennium?

The report of an ambitious survey of church members has
found that Episcopalians are committed to worship and the
Anglican tradition that binds them; that many of the church's
local congregations are characterized by a healthy sense of
vitality and common mission, and that many congregations share a
commitment to be inclusive.

At the same time, Episcopalians seem to yearn for more
support from and a better relationship with the church's diocesan
and national structures, which, some church members said, have
not adapted well to the increasing role of laity in the church
over recent decades.

The report, copies of which were mailed in late June to
every parish in the Episcopal Church, is an important step in the
Zacchaeus Project, which was commissioned by the Episcopal Church
Foundation as a gift to the church to mark the foundation's 50th
anniversary this year. The research was conducted by Cornerstone,
a ministry of the foundation.

The project actually began last year with detailed
interviews of some 2,000 Episcopalians in nine dioceses selected
to reflect the diversity of the whole church. Parishes churchwide
are now being asked to discuss the report, which will be the
focus of a Trinity Institute teleconference in September. More
churchwide teleconferences will be held through May 2000.

No definitive conclusions

The Zacchaeus Project "is a work in progress," foundation
president George Fowlkes said in a letter accompanying the
report. He emphasized that the report, while presenting the
answers gathered in many interviews, has drawn no definitive
conclusions. The project, he said, is an "overall effort to stage
a national conversation about our life together."

The project was launched with the encouragement and support
of Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold, who noted in a statement,
"The report bears out what I have observed myself over these last
months: parishes are healthy and grounded in their worship. Thus
grounded, we are moving out from our church communities and into
our neighborhoods to respond to the needs as we find them. Our
relationship with the Risen Christ has called us into
relationship with all of God's people."

He also acknowledged, "The report challenges our national
structures, and indeed diocesan structures, to make plain our
imperative of supporting the ministry and mission of
congregations to increase their capacity for ministry by building
networks and providing resources for education, leadership, and
faith formation."

The report notes that the Zacchaeus Project was commissioned
last year, the first year of Griswold's nine-year term as
presiding bishop and a point at the end of one millennium and the
beginning of another. The project was named for the biblical
character, described in Luke 19, who climbed a sycamore tree to
gain a better look at Jesus.

The research was directed by an Episcopal lay person and
sociologist, Thomas P. Holland of the University of Georgia, and
a parish priest and historian, William L. Sachs, rector of St.
Matthew's Church in Wilton, Connecticut.

Five interviewers spoke with about 2,000 Episcopalians in
250 individual or focus group meetings representing nearly 5
percent of Episcopal congregations. Dioceses chosen for the
research included Central Florida, Massachusetts, North Carolina,
Texas, West Missouri, Kansas, Minnesota, Nevada and Los Angeles.

In addition to speaking with lay people in those dioceses,
the interviewers met with focus groups of seminarians, clergy,
young adults and residents of an Episcopal retirement community.

The interview process focused on lay people in local
congregations, the report said, explaining that studies of
Episcopal identity typically have looked at the church through
the eyes of theologians and bishops, who often mingled their
ideals of church life with only select references to data drawn
from actual church life.

The interviewers wanted to hear directly from the vast
majority of those in the church; its lay members.

Core of Episcopal identity

At the core of Episcopal identity, the report said, are the
Book of Common Prayer and the liturgy. "Over 95 percent of
respondents in both independent surveys and interviews agreed
that the Eucharist, liturgy, and the Prayer Book were central to
the lives of their congregations," the report emphasized.

"The Episcopal Church has a long history and many rich
traditions that shape our liturgy," said one parishioner. "That
is our common ground. Also, it doesn't discourage thinking,
facing your doubts, and struggling with them. I believe that is a
major attraction. It certainly has been a major part of my
growth."

Spiritual growth, and the sense of being on a spiritual
journey together, were important to many congregants, the report
said.

"At a time when many Americans define themselves as
spiritual seekers," it commented, "one of the Episcopal Church's
attractions may be the extent of its openness to such a quest."

Not everyone agreed. "In a few sites," the report said,
"participants voiced dismay over the Episcopal Church's tolerance
for what they saw as too wide a range of views and beliefs. Some
stances, such as denying the resurrection or advocating
acceptance of homosexuality, fall outside the boundaries of the
historic Christian faith, they stress, and Episcopal leadership
has substituted political correctness for biblical truths."

Whether they feel they are sharing a spiritual journey or
not, most Episcopalians in local congregations share a "profound
sense of community [that] exists not for its own sake, and
certainly not for the sake of institutional loyalty alone. Their
calling to follow Christ together inspires a sense of shared
mission," according to the report.

"Connectedness"

"We really listen to one another," said one church member,
"respect our differences, and come to conclusions much easier
than I ever expect. We hang in there together and work through
difficult problems. There's a deep sense of connectedness among
us."

This "connectedness" is the product of hard work, many
conceded, but it helped congregations through losses, challenges
and changes, and often these painful periods served to deepen the
sense of community.

Further, most respondents see their spiritual growth as
leading to ministry and outreach, the report stated. From soup
kitchens to schools to building a clinic in a remote South
American village, Episcopalians have found many forms of service.

Leadership in these congregations is often seen as a
responsibility shared by the clergy and the laity--an indication
to the interviewers that "there has been a decisive shift in the
Episcopal Church's life over the past half-century," according to
the report. The place of ordained leaders--many congregants
praised the work the clergy had done in their congregations--and
of other bodies such as vestries remains intact, the report said,
but "a broad and rather informal view of leadership has taken
hold."

Even as they expressed their enthusiasm about their parish
life, Episcopalians acknowledged that the demands of the current
social environment are pressuring laity to increase their skills
in leadership, pastoral care and mission, and they are looking to
wider church structures for resources to meet these demands.

Concerned about hierarchy

At this point, many noted their concerns about the
capability of programs sponsored by diocesan and national offices
to respond effectively.

One respondent said with despair, "The diocese isn't doing
anything about outreach, about Christian education, about the
seminaries, or anything else I can see. And neither are the
national offices. I'm afraid we're becoming congregationalist in
our approach, and losing our rich Anglican heritage. But when
there's nothing going on at the top, who's left to do the work?"

The report added later, however, "Despite obvious
ambivalence about the church's hierarchy, many of our respondents
hoped to find ways to draw their locality into better partnership
with it. The resilience of this hope should be a major source of
encouragement for the Episcopal Church's professional
leadership."

Copies of the 61-page report are available from Cornerstone
at a cost of $5 each. Requests may be made by phone (901) 527-
1450, by fax (901) 523-8952 or by email cstone@mmem.net. The
report is online at the Episcopal Church Foundation's Web site:
www.episcopalfoundation.org.

--Kathryn McCormick is associate director of the Office of News
and Information of the Episcopal Church.